tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rare Li Jacket
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 am 

I bought this jacket about 10 years ago in Beijing. I am sure that's it is Li, and has age, but I have never seen a photo of another one like this. Does anyone have any information about it? provide any references? Give me an idea if it's is as rare as I suspect it is?
Thanks!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.78 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 142.42 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 165.56 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 102.06 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rare Li Jacket
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Anna

I am sorry I have not posted earlier but I have not been thinking about Li costume for quite a long time and needed to get my eye in again!

The best book - if you can find it - is 'Traditional Culture of the Li Ethnic Group'. It was published in 2001 and edited by Wang Xueping. It is, I think, originally based on research done in Hainan in the 1980s and then reviewed with many interviews undertaken at the beginning of the 21st century. It was published under the auspices of the Working Committee on Ethnic and Religious Affairs of the Standing Committee of Hainan Provincial People's Congress, Hainan Provincial Ethnic and Religious Affairs Department, The Ethnic and Religious Affairs Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) Hainan Provincial Committee. (A real mouthful!!!)

It is a publication which shows photos and gives some identification of the different Li groups referring to them as speaking different dialects. (ISBN 7-5011-5250-0).

I agree with you that this is a Li jacket. I think that it is probably a jacket of the group speaking the Qi dialect and probably from Dali township, Lingshui. I say that based on the photos of the back of the jacket where the designs - both in the top and bottom - are very similar to a photo of 4 girls standing with their backs to the camera and this is the location mentioned. It is in the section on the Qi Li. Photos of the front of the jackets have patterns on both right and left fronts - not one bare as in yours - but the patterns are different on each front. The sleeves are different as each has stripes of white (broad), red and narrow indigo on the cuff edge.

I have tried to scan one of the photos which I attach. Difficult as it is a very large and heavy book!

Yours looks to be a very nice jacket indeed. A very good find!

Attachments:
Qi-Daili.jpg
Qi-Daili.jpg [ 125.99 KiB | Viewed 3188 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource