tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Songket Sumatra
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:13 am 

There is a great video on youtube, Tenun Songket Bungo Tanjung, showing songet weaving in Sumatra. It shows the use of multiple heddles for the different parts of the motif i.e. borders and main body motifs. If you are interested in songket textiles you will find this video interesting.

Best regards

Post subject: Re: Songket Sumatra
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:42 pm 

Thanks for that MAC!
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkusDnj3ZVg Note that there are other similar videos on the page- including one for Palembang.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks, MAC, for drawing our attention to this video. Special thanks to Susan for finding the correct link for us (and also hi-lighting the Palembang video on that you-tube page).

Just to make things even simpler here (I hope :wink: ) is the the video itself.

Lovely to see the songket weaving in action.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 am 

Pamela and Susan,

Thanks for your help. I wanted to post the video but didn't think we could on the forum and I wasn't sure how to do it anyway. I copied and pasted the link into my post but it came out to be 10 or 15 lines of code so I wasn't sure I had done it right and deleted it thinking members could just go to youtube and find it themselves if they were really interested.

I found it interesting that they had many string heddles for small sections of motif such as the vertical borders. They used these to raise only part of the warp threads and inserted a lidi stick to reserve that shed until they were ready to insert the sword, widen the shed and introduce the supp. weft, gold thread. The video shows the manipulation of these heddle strings as well as the main heddle rods for the foundation weave very clearly. One can understand how it would take 6 months or more to weave an intricately patterned and finely woven, 19th C., silk songket.

The songket textiles being produced today are not nearly so intricate or finely woven as those of the 19th C. when the art was at its peak. We must be grateful, however, that they continue to produce these laborious and lovely textiles by hand at all. As the patterns are woven ones I would think that songket could be produced on the latest, computerized and automated looms or even a jacquard loom for that matter. Songket weaving in Indonesia may be forced to become more automated in future to remain economically viable.

Best regards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi MAC

Some video files can be posted. I have set up the ability to embed Facebook and You tube videos direction into a post on the forum and put info on how to do it in the Private forum 'Uploading images and videos and other forum hints - FAQs'. This appears as the last forum section at the bottom of the Index page. It is ONLY visible IF a forum member is logged in. I can't remember how to do it myself so every time I want to embed a video I go to the private section and test out how to do it following the instructions! It means that only a forum member who happens to be logged in can see if I make a mess of a post and, in most cases, I can test it using the 'Preview' button and don't need to complete the post.

I must say that it all took some head scratching to set up and Facebook and You tube can change their set up and make things not work! However, there are info forums attached to the phpBB website - the engine that powers this forum - which can help. However, it has been pretty challenging!!! I am not a programmer and do not have much experience so lots of trial and error and go away and then try again! Oh, and lots and lots of determination!!!

Yes, it is fascination to watch the actual songket weaving process - and to realise just how much work is involved in the creation of the final fabric. We take so much for granted these days!

Best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource