tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sikka area sarung
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:52 am 

Just sharing a few pics of a sarung from the Sikka area near Maumere....bought in the Maumere town market in 1992 so don't know the exact provenance. The textile is nicely & tightly woven handspun thread, and measures 170cm x 61cm. Unfortunately there's a small hole, but overall pretty happy with the condition.

Attachments:
Y2A.JPG
Y2A.JPG [ 90.74 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]
Y3A.JPG
Y3A.JPG [ 118.26 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]
Y7A.JPG
Y7A.JPG [ 136.83 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]
Y9A.JPG
Y9A.JPG [ 134.52 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]
Y14A.JPG
Y14A.JPG [ 146.2 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sikka area sarung
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm 

Hi again,

Nice Sikka sarong. The patola like motifs in the main band are unusual and are probably taken from a mordant and block printed cotton textile from India rather than an actual patolu cloth. I don't think I have seen a patolu with this exact motif but have seen mordant printed cotton textiles, imitating patola, with quite similar patterns. Perhaps some of the shorter patola cloths, 2 or 2.5 meters in length, that were traded to Sumatra and Bali and used for headcovers in Sumatra and waist cloths in Bali have patterns rather similar. Must get my short patola out and have a look again.

The thread in your sarong looks very fine and if it is hand spun it must have been spun on a spinning wheel rather than using a drop spindle. Drop spindle thread is generally thicker and more uneven. Have you checked out the loose threads where the hole is to see if they are single ply or multiply?

A nice sarong and thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:51 pm 

Thanks for your comments MAC....and yes the twine is quite a bit finer and more consistently spun than drop-spindle twine that I see on all of my Timor handspun textiles. But viewed with a 10X magnifier it definitely is only single ply, and not twisted regularly to the degree that store-bought rayon appears. I'm no expert on twines, and assume this comes from a spinning wheel....so I guess it's not handspun in the same sense as drop-spindle twine. There are some finer chrome-green accent wefts that I'm assuming are trade thread. The twine used to sew the ends into a tube is definitely finer sky-blue multifilament rayon...and noticeably different to the ikatted weft twine. Would love to have access to better camera equipment ! Maybe I should only provisionally call it handspun atm ( until someone with more expertise examines it ). Nonetheless I do like the texture and motifs, and it's one of only two Sikka textiles that I own. Cheers - Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm 

Steve,

I like to say there are two types of hand spun thread, drop spindle and wheel spun. They are both hand spun as opposed to commercial thread produced by machine in a factory and only the means of spinning the thread is different. In Indonesia wheel spun thread usually requires both hands, one to turn the wheel and one to hold the cotton, and a foot, to hold the spindle between the toes. Perhaps we could call it HAND AND FOOT SPUN THREAD!!

Keep posting photos of your textiles---we enjoy them!

Best regards