tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: danzhai county jacket
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:17 pm 

This jacket is a Miao jacket from Danzhai county, Qiandongnan prefecture. But I am looking for informations about the complete costume. What kind of skirt was worn with this jacket?was is a pleated skirt, pants or a tubular skirt? were there some gaiters? head ornament?

Attachments:
danzhai_669_.jpg
danzhai_669_.jpg [ 10.67 KiB | Viewed 4789 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:18 pm 

back of the jacket

Attachments:
danzhai02_151_.jpg
danzhai02_151_.jpg [ 20.13 KiB | Viewed 4787 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Olivier

Yet again, I am so glad that you have come back to join us! I remember ages ago that you emailed me a photo of this jacket that you have posted. Since then I have acquired book 'A Picture Ornament of China's Miao Costumes and Ornaments (see China bibliography page for full details http://www.tribaltextiles.info/bibliogr ... _books.htm ). When I have been leafing through recently trying to identify other costumes I have come across this and thought '...if only I could get in touch with Olivier and share this with him...'

On pages 106-111 the book shows textiles and jewelry from what they call the 'Bazhai Style'. I am going to post 2 photos. One of a woman wearing her 'holiday best' from page 107 which shows a similar jacket from the front but without the triangular patchwork and another photo of the back of a jacket which has the triangles.

The explanatory text says:
Quote:
"The Bazhai Style
Represented by the style at the Bazhai Town of Danzhai County in Guizhou Province, it is distributed in the towns of Bazhai and Longquan of Danzhai county, Qiaosang and Dadi of Leishan County.

With taped topknots on their heads wrapped in balck-cloth turbans, the girls wear right-buttoned long jackets and under-aprons. When married, they have their topknots wrapped with square black-cloth headscarves and put in silver pins. They wear short jackets with cloth buttons, large-legged trousers, brocaded aprons and leggings. Women are dressed in button-less, loose-sleeved symmetric short jackets for festivals. There are various patterns on the shoulders, back, edges, cuffs and collar. They tie brocaded sashes with nine front aprons and three back aprons, and three leggings. They also adorn themselves with many kinds of silver ornaments."

Attachments:
File comment: page 108 from 'A Picture Ornament of China's Miao Costumes and Ornaments' 'Button-less loose-sleeved short jacket
Bazhai_jacket_.jpg
Bazhai_jacket_.jpg [ 46.72 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]
File comment: page 107 from 'A Picture Ornament of China's Miao Costumes and Ornaments' - Woman's holiday best'
Bazhai_style_.jpg
Bazhai_style_.jpg [ 53.67 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:38 pm 

Dear Pamela,
thank you for this interesting answer and to share this picture. Yes it seems to be, may be, a more comtemporary jacket, with a similar design.
So the jacket was probably the most impressive part of the costume.
Thanks again
O.