tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: IBAN OR IBANIC?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:14 am 

Dear friends,

After perusing Amman's book on Borneo Textiles, and after several discussions with various collectors of Ibanic textiles, I must admit that my understanding of Ibanic textiles has changed. Consequently, several cloths in my collection which I had believed to be Iban in origin but had some trouble placing provenance initially within the Iban geography in Sarawak now seem to make sense that they might actually be Ibanic and from Kalimantan.

Therefore, I would be most grateful to hear your thoughts, opinions and suggestions on the provenances of the following three cloths.

Last edited by vernonkeditjolly on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: IBAN OR IBANIC?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:15 am 

CLOTH A.

Attachments:
A.JPG
A.JPG [ 264.76 KiB | Viewed 3751 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 am 

CLOTH B.

Attachments:
B.JPG
B.JPG [ 273.88 KiB | Viewed 3751 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:17 am 

CLOTH C.

Attachments:
C.JPG
C.JPG [ 270 KiB | Viewed 3751 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 pm 

Dear Vernon - You posted three interesting pieces. I will give what little help I can. As for being Kalimantan I have to approach them largely by the principles of exclusion based on my limited knowledge.

(A) Of the three, I would say (A) is most likely to be Kalimantan. The triangles in the anak pua and the sharpness and “open” design of the main field without a density of curls, hooks or other “fillers” (as important as they may be) immediately suggest Kantu’. I can’t tell from the picture however if the triangles are in 2 or 3 colors. 3 would somewhat strengthen the case toward Kantu'. But the anthropomorphic figures at the bottom as well as the striped borders are unusual for Kantu' from my limited experience. They seem more to fit the Iban. The pattern also does not “look” quite Kantu'. Although it is very neat and organized, it does not seem to have the Kantu' complexity or invention. So perhaps it is from the Dayak Desa who were also accomplished weavers and who lived in proximity. It is also a little unusual in that it appears to be a fourfold design counting each paired layer of warp threads as a “fold”. This results in three lines of symmetry along the warp not counting the center line. It definitely does not look like Mualang or Ketungau.

(B) looks like a newer piece with so much blue. It seems to have an ultra-bright blue in the border but that may just be the photography? If it is Kalimantan, I don’t think it is Kantu' which leaves the usual suspects. Mualang – not likely, and looks too new to be Ketungau. I’m not even sure that it is Kalimantan. It also looks very Iban to me especially the borders. However if you cannot reasonably put it in Sarawak, perhaps it has to go with the Desa Dayak. I don't know of any piece attributed to the Kalimantan Ibans but that may be a possibility also.

(C) Offhand, I don’t see anything in particular to suggest this is necessarily Kalimantan either except that I don’t believe the puchuk rebung at the end borders was used in the Saribas of Sarawak. Graphically it is a very simple design. But on, or a tiny bit below, center, there seem to be hooks growing out of hooks (sort of “piggy-back”) which I have not seen before. Filling the space with so many hooks does not suggest Kalimantan pieces to me. Of course there is always the chance it is from some tribe along the Ketungau but I do not know of any authenticated pieces specific to any particular Ketungau people. Traude Gavin who spent time recently in Kalimantan may have such information but if so, has not published it yet that I know of. Again, if you don't believe this belongs on your side of the border than perhaps that is more reason to give it to the Ketungau peoples.

I can’t tell anything about size, dyes and treads from the pictures which might help. I have noted that some Ketungau and Mualang pua' have a very tight stitching in red thread almost like overcasting joining the two halves which I have not seen elsewhere.

Of course all of the above is based on Kalimantan examples in my collection and others I have seen. And they tend to be “collectors’” pieces. I’m afraid I was not much help.