tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:55 pm 

Hi all,

Old, traditional ikat textiles from Lombok are very rare. Back in the 80's over a period of 2 or 3 years a number of old pieces came out and were dispersed around the world. They can be found a few pieces here a few there in private collections and museums. Most of them have hooked, diamond like patterns, seen in so many different textiles around the world. Cotton weft ikat bands are interspersed with intricate stripes. The oldest pieces usually have tapestry woven end borders. They are usually called Sokong but little information is available about the ceremonies they were used in and what role they played. Some have supplementary weft woven patterns instead of ikat and many are narrower than the ikat type I am posting. Some of these brocade pieces have human figures and may represent a pre-Islamic tradition of ancestor worship.

Here I would like to post a rather unique sokon that has both weft ikat and supplementary weft patterns. It is the only piece that I have seen of this type. It may date to the early 20th C. and foretell of the imminent extinction of this type of textile. The ikat patterns are primitive, at random dashes that remind one of Bengkulu weft ikats in cotton. Whether these patterns are a traditional form of the earliest ikat patterns or the best that could be done in a dying tradition, I do not know. Any ideas are welcome. The threads are hand spun and the color natural indigo.

In posting this textile I am hoping that other members will come forward with information about or photos of other ceremonial, ikat textiles from Lombok. A modern revival of ikat production in the form of sarongs, similar to those in Bali, has occurred with the coming of tourism to Lombok and these can be found everywhere and use modern chemical dyes. What I am interested in are 19th C., ceremonial textiles with natural dyes and hand spun thread. Any information about the ceremonies and how these textiles were used would be most welcome.

Thanks and best regards

Attachments:
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat, Threads UP 2014-02-17-- 022.jpg
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat, Threads UP 2014-02-17-- 022.jpg [ 276.21 KiB | Viewed 10753 times ]
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat, Indigo  2014-02-17-- 028.jpg
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat, Indigo 2014-02-17-- 028.jpg [ 306.66 KiB | Viewed 10753 times ]
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Supp. Weft UP 2014-02-17-- 017.jpg
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Supp. Weft UP 2014-02-17-- 017.jpg [ 309.06 KiB | Viewed 10753 times ]
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Brocade  2014-02-15-- 027.jpg
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Brocade 2014-02-15-- 027.jpg [ 442.8 KiB | Viewed 10753 times ]
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Supp. Weft 2014-2-15-013.jpg
Lombok Sokon, Cotton, Weft Ikat and Supp. Weft 2014-2-15-013.jpg [ 428.84 KiB | Viewed 10753 times ]