[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
tribaltextiles.info • View topic - writing

tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: writing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:05 pm 

Attachments:
DSCN2632web.jpg
DSCN2632web.jpg [ 103.61 KiB | Viewed 15260 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:46 pm 

Attachments:
File comment: Malay Islamic Banner/Textile
malay_islamic_banner_.jpg
malay_islamic_banner_.jpg [ 59.27 KiB | Viewed 15176 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Post subject: Malay Cloth
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:47 pm 

Post subject: Allahu Akbar!
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:54 am 

Post subject: Islamic Banner
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:13 pm 

Post subject: Kiswah at the Kabah
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:51 pm 

Attachments:
Mail-kaba-kiswah.jpg
Mail-kaba-kiswah.jpg [ 81.5 KiB | Viewed 15134 times ]
Mail-stitching-the-kiswah.jpg
Mail-stitching-the-kiswah.jpg [ 65.93 KiB | Viewed 15134 times ]

Post subject: Islamic Banner #2
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:28 pm 

Attachments:
islamic_banner_204.jpg
islamic_banner_204.jpg [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 15141 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:09 am 

Mark-
You're more than welcome. Indeed, this forum is a valuable source of info as others often shed new light on a topic. I am particularly enjoying this thread as it combines textiles with language, which gives a layer of meaning that relates to culture, religion, etc.

Your second banner appears to have the same text as the first. These really reming me of the 'tapis' from Lampung, Sumatra. Any idea of the age or provenance?

I also want to thank Sandie Shamis for mentioning an article which I'd overlooked: by Robin Maxwell in Textiles of Asia; A Common Heritage, titled "Faith, Hope and Charity: The Use of Calligraphic Motifs in Southeast Asian Textiles". It relates to Mark's textiles and deals quite a bit with Islamic calligraphic textiles, as one might expect from the title. This was presented at a symposium at Chiang Mai Univ. in 1992 and the full collection of articles is occasionally available here in bookstores; if anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, let me know.

Post subject: Islamic Banners
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:14 pm 

Hi Susan,
I bought these both in Sarawak in the late 1980's. I was told they were Malay skirts or Tapis. They certainly look like and are constructed just like the Tapis metal thread sarongs of the Lampung District of South Sumatra. I assumed they were from the Lampung and just ended up in Sarawak for some reason. The calligraphy is very thick and the size of the pieces just made no sense for wearing, but I really had no other info. They do not seem that old, perhaps mid-century. I have not come across anything else like them since.
Regards,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Mark

Do you have measurements for the script weavings? It is difficult to judge the size from photos?

thanks

Post subject: Sizes
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 pm 

I don't have them right in hand, but they are about 3' x 2', give or take an inch or two.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:40 pm 

I thought I'd share this 'wild & crazy' Afghani war rug to wake everyone up... It appears to be an inventory of war materiel and I've been able to get identification on quite a few of the items from soldiers and others who are familiar with this sort of thing; it includes butterfly bombs, mines, armored personnel carriers, 3D renderings of helmets and detonators, etc. The level of detail is due to the warps being silk or a very silky cotton. The language of the Arabic script is Pashtu, which is the language of the largest group in Afghanistan, the Pashtun. There also appears to be some Russian, but it is mostly nonsense as far as we've been able to tell. War rugs often include writing, but sometimes in mirror image, or out of context, or rife with misspellings. I find these textiles to be fascinating cultural 'documents' that are responsive to and reflective of the times and lives of their creators.

Attachments:
Mail-3D War Rug.jpg
Mail-3D War Rug.jpg [ 87.33 KiB | Viewed 15084 times ]
Mail-3D War Rug- Detail1.jpg
Mail-3D War Rug- Detail1.jpg [ 85.07 KiB | Viewed 15084 times ]
File comment: shows 3D detonators, helmets with chin strap, and a mine in lower center
Mail-3D War Rug- Detail2.jpg
Mail-3D War Rug- Detail2.jpg [ 85.05 KiB | Viewed 15084 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Susan

Thanks very much for sharing this fascinating rug with us - which I have been fortunate to see. It has so many dimensions. When you view it as a design piece, ignoring the subject matter, the shapes are very pleasing.

I am going to share another piece perhaps with war overtones showing in the very minimal writing 'NAM 1963'. It is a Dao Tien jacket which I sourced in Hanoi in 1995 (the one, Susan, where I 'missed' getting the wax resist skirt and you found one for me not quite a decade later!) The letters/numbers are incorporated into the embroidery on the centre back of the jacket. I assume that the letters and figures have been incorporated purely as a design motif and not for the meaning. I show a (poor, sorry) shot of both the back and front of the jacket as well as a close up of the embroidery.

Another decorative element on the back of the jacket and with overtones of earlier foreign 'activity' in Vietnam are a cluster of 8 French 20c coins hanging from the nape of the neck. 7 of the coins are dated 1941 and one 1939. The main part of the jacket is hand spun and woven indigo dyed cotton. I think that some of the applied bands around the bottom edges, the brown ones, may be be dyed with a natural dye.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of embroidery on the back of Dao Tien woman's jacket collected in Hanoi in 1995
IMGP4679w.jpg
IMGP4679w.jpg [ 51.4 KiB | Viewed 15059 times ]
File comment: back of Dao Tien woman's jacket collected in Hanoi in 1995
IMGP4675w.jpg
IMGP4675w.jpg [ 60.94 KiB | Viewed 15059 times ]
File comment: front of Dao Tien woman's jacket collected in Hanoi in 1995
IMGP4685w.jpg
IMGP4685w.jpg [ 53.99 KiB | Viewed 15059 times ]