tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 am 

Hi All,

I am looking for some additional information regarding the textile below, it is cotton Indigo dyed Ikat from Isaan in Northern Thailand. I am looking for some more specific information, I suspect it is from Khon Kaen but not 100% sure. Any ideas?

Michelle

[I have downsized the original image posted to avoid distortion of the forum page (no wider than 600 px please) but added a detail to assist in identifying. Pamela]

Attachments:
indigo_cotton_mudmee-w.jpg
indigo_cotton_mudmee-w.jpg [ 120.19 KiB | Viewed 2985 times ]
indigo_cotton_mudmee-det.jpg
indigo_cotton_mudmee-det.jpg [ 124.99 KiB | Viewed 2985 times ]

Last edited by Michelle Pease on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 am 

It's a nice skirt, definitely from a Tai group though I couldn't say which.

Those motifs are usually described as being a pair of stylized dragons, facing each other. They are also sometimes said to represent the roof lines of traditional houses (which have dragon-like heads at the ends).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 am 

Thanks Chris,

I have received a note fromm Keosiri Everingham who I bought this textile from a few years ago and she advises that it is from the Tai Phoung people, Udon Ban Chiang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 pm 

A lovely skirt! The elegant, indigo and white protective dragons are complemented nicely by the flash of color in the stripes of the waist band.

The weft ikat, dyed patterns were carefully bound and dyed and aligned during the weaving process producing clear motifs. The woman who produced this textile was a master of design, planning, binding, dyeing and weaving. I hope her skills have been passed on to the next generation.

Where is Udon Ban Chiang? Is it in Isaan?

Thanks for posting this beautiful, weft ikat skirt! Would love to see more of your collection.

Here is a skirt panel with embroidered dragons that I aquired recently. Does anyone know where or by which Tai group this type of skirt is produced?

Best, MAC

Attachments:
File comment: The nak, dragon patterns are embroidered in the warp direction and the border patterns done in supp. weft
skirt panel, embroidery and supp. weft patterns, cotton and silk, 43 x 74 cen. 3.jpg
skirt panel, embroidery and supp. weft patterns, cotton and silk, 43 x 74 cen. 3.jpg [ 157.69 KiB | Viewed 2893 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 pm 

Yes Mac Udon Ban Chiang is in Isaan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:25 am 

Hi Michelle-
Ban Chiang is a famous archeological site from which some of Thailand's oldest artifacts have come. Re the textile: in Isaan cotton is only seen in the northern part, as it is too hard to grow in the southern area. Also, one will see indigo used on cotton, but not on silk as it has a corrosive effect over time. This holds true in Laos as well. Most of the people here are Lao-Tai. In southern Isaan, where the predominant ethnic group is Khmer, silk is the norm and they even wear silk skirts for working, whereas most other areas reserve silk for special occasions. It's a handsome piece utilizing the motif of 'crested naga', or 'ngueak' as they are called in Laos. I've never heard of Tai Phoung, but perhaps it refers to a location, rather than ethnic group, ie Tai from Ban Phoung? Hope this helps a little bit.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/