tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am 

Thank you all for your thoughts and info on this cloth. With special thanks of course to John for his textbook technical exposé. Would it be okay John, if I quote it on my site, with creditline of course?

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES

Post subject: Re: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:21 am 

Peter ten Hoopen wrote:
Thank you all for your thoughts and info on this cloth. With special thanks of course to John for his textbook technical exposé. Would it be okay John, if I quote it on my site, with creditline of course?

Hi Peter, apologies that I didn't notice your post until your recent email. I have been traveling in Taiwan and am now in Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo. I haven't had much free time at all so my apologies.

Of course you may quote what I had posted. It's all to further the appreciation of these women and their amazing art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:53 pm 

Dear All,

I only now see how much response there has been to my first ever post - under my original username pusaka. (I did not get notifications on follow-up posts, presumably as a result of changing my username to my real name.) Be that as it may, I want to express my gratitude to those who have taken the trouble to respond, and in such detail, especially John and Vernon Kedit Jolly. The subject is like the enchanting bird in Hudson's Green Mansions, which lures you deeper and deeper into the jungle. The more I read on Iban culture, noteably of late articles by Vernon and by his uncle Gregory Nyanggau Mawar, the more I realize that the world these textiles come from is essentially closed to me - and should be. These cloths send messages that are coded, and they weren't coded without reason. Part of the intrigue and attraction of the 'exotic' has always been the mystery they confront us with: the thrilling feeling that we are holding something that belongs to another world, that we may try to enter intuitively, but in which we are truly lost. We may follow the bird's call, but in the end we will not reach a clearing, just more greenery, more mystery, and more longing for that which we cannot have.

To illustrate these musings, let me post another wonderful pua, Kantu Kayak I presume (info on http://ikat.us/ikat_032.php). Please share what you know or think about this particular design. I am particularly interested in learning about the zoomorphic motifs. What do they represent and symbolize?

Best regards,
Peter

Attachments:
File comment: Iban pua, tentatively identified as 'perhaps Kantu Kayak'.
tmp.jpg
tmp.jpg [ 490.84 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES