tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Since participating in the recent couple of threads on Gejia textiles it has been really irritating me that I could not lay my hands on some Gejia textiles that I purchased from time to time a few years ago. I have always been attracted by Gejia textiles - both wax resist and embroidery - and collected them regardless of any particular knowledge of the Gejia and their textiles. I finally found the right box and was very pleased to find a couple of main pieces for Gejia baby carriers - one is wax resist and the other is embroidered.

I am posting the embroidered one first. I was very interested to see that the embroidered design is very, very similar to the one that I bought as a complete babycarrier in 2001 in Ma Tang village, Kaili city http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... ?p=996#996 with only very slight differences - a little more 'curl'!. The embroidery on the piece is quite finely done although not quite so tight and the design comes up slightly larger than on the babycarrier collected in Ma Tang village. It also has the addition of some soft orange thread whilst the babycarrier collected in 2001 is all indigo with shades of pink and cyclamen red.

I bought the embroidered babycarrier piece shown here in the UK from John Gillow's 'Indigo' exhibition of Chinese Hill Tribe Textiles in May 2000. I am pretty sure that John purchased it from the dealers in Kaili. I am not sure when he bought it but I believe that it was one that he had had in his collection for a while before exhibiting. As the textile is not backed I am posting a photo of the reverse, illustrating the embroidery stitches. I don't think that the embroidery is on hand woven/spun indigo dyed cotton cloth although the individual threads are clearly visble (and it just might be) - but even with this visibility, the way the embroidery follows the threads is amazing!

This textile does not really add much to those already posted - however, I love the beautifully executed and controlled embroidery with its very regular, subtle shading giving a slightly sculptured look. For some reason I feel that it is newer than the babycarrier I collected in Kaili in 2001 - in which Andrew saw some similarities to one of his which had been thought to be 30-40 years old. The reason I think that it may be newer is because there is the addition of the soft orange embroidery thread. The pinkish/magenta colour of the main embroidery suggests that it has some age. Now much brighter (electric!) scarlet reds are favoured. I do not know when the red changed. I do not get the feeling that it has been deliberately embroidered in these shades to look older. It is so very well balanced in every respect and true to itself.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of an embroidered textile for a babycarrier - Gejia, probably from the Kaili city area possibly Ma Tang village.
IMGP1281_.jpg
IMGP1281_.jpg [ 59.37 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]
File comment: detail of an embroidered textile for a babycarrier - Gejia, probably from the Kaili city area possibly Ma Tang village.
IMGP1286_.jpg
IMGP1286_.jpg [ 56.39 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]
IMGP1294_.jpg
IMGP1294_.jpg [ 59.63 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]
File comment: detail of the reverse of an embroidered textile for a babycarrier - Gejia, probably from the Kaili city area possibly Ma Tang village.
IMGP1297_.jpg
IMGP1297_.jpg [ 54.45 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

The second Gejia babycarrier piece that I found is a wax resist piece. Compared to my winter babycarrier and to Andrew's posts, especially http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... =1004#1004 it is a much simpler piece without fine quality wax resist work. However, it does pick up some of the bird design motifs which Andrew refers to in his post. Note that it has a plain background behind the major design motifs - which shows as indigo dye - rather than the fine fill-in on Andrew's babycarrier except for a little at the inside of the left and right of the top of the 'T' of the textile. It would have taken far less time to execute. In its favour, it will look more striking at a distance with the sharp contrast of the larger areas of indigo which makes it quite a good piece for display. The waxing also gives the impression of having been executed with some panache and very little hesitation. This piece was added to my collection at the same time (2000) and from the same source as the embroidered textile above.

It has been interesting to learn via the forum - both photos and Andrew's posted expertise - how to look for quality work and appraise pieces in my collection.

For a photogallery comprised of these and other photos of Ge Jia baby carriers posted on this forum go to: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... rriers.htm

Attachments:
File comment: Piece of Gejia wax resist for a babycarrier.
IMGP1271_.jpg
IMGP1271_.jpg [ 55 KiB | Viewed 3182 times ]
File comment: Detail of a piece of Gejia wax resist for a babycarrier.
IMGP1273_.jpg
IMGP1273_.jpg [ 62.96 KiB | Viewed 3182 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource