tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 am 

I am posting these few tubeskirts because they are a little different to the type that you normally see. I am wondering if forum members have similar pieces or information about them.

I assume they are Iban or a closely related group (?), probably from the Kalimantan side of the border. The "usual" kind of tubeskirt that is illustrated in publications has all-over ikat designs, with some narrow stripes at the edges only. There are some of these in older threads in this forum that have this kind of skirt, eg:
http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=1382

These skirts seem to be mostly made of commercial cotton, with natural dyes used for the ikat parts and some commercially dyed cotton used in the border stripes.

Grateful for any thoughts or info!

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: tubeskirt, 54cm x 57cm
KT49-1.jpg
KT49-1.jpg [ 102 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
File comment: tubeskirt, opened out. The design is similar but not the same as the previous piece, 54cm x 108cm
KT56-1.jpg
KT56-1.jpg [ 112.9 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
File comment: detail of previous tubeskirt
KT56-1detail.jpg
KT56-1detail.jpg [ 111.24 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
File comment: fragile and feels relatively old, despite the presence of a stripe of bright red synthetic dye in the border, 52cm x58cm
KT57-1.jpg
KT57-1.jpg [ 118 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
File comment: handspun cotton and natural dyes, 60cm x 58cm
KT48-1.jpg
KT48-1.jpg [ 94.65 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]

Last edited by Chris Buckley on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 pm 

Chris - very handsome pieces. I believe that these ikatted skirts -kain kebat - are in fact Iban from Sarawak. I am posting a similar one I got from a dealer in Kuching and also one I found on ebay. The first is somewhat like yours in style and the second is sort of transitional in a sense. I have another almost exactly like the last but not so well ikatted.

I suspect that there are, or were, quite a few of your style but while quite handsome, probably not so much preferred by collectors in favor of the more graphic ones of figures on backgrounds.

And while my second one of the "arrows" is a three repeat pattern, meaning the weaver folded the warp threads accordian style into three layers before ikatting, the first will take some close study to see how many repeats there are. The same is true for yours.

I am not sure but I think some like yours are shown in one of Edric Ong's books. I'll check when I get back home.

Nice skirts. What else do you have?

Attachments:
File comment: warp faced, cotton kain kebat. handspun, natural dyes.
kebat 78.jpg
kebat 78.jpg [ 87.76 KiB | Viewed 2505 times ]
File comment: warp faced, kain kebat. opened.
handspun cotton and natural dyes. "three repeat" patterned.

kebat 108.jpg
kebat 108.jpg [ 117.73 KiB | Viewed 2505 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply, John. That second tubeskirt is very lovely indeed. Less is more.

I think you are right that these are relatively common, though less collected than the all-over-ikat variety. Presumably the ikat for the bands can all be tied at once, more quickly than the more elaborate kinds.

My collection of Iban(ic) ikat is not large. But here are 3 more tubeskirts of a more "conventional" kind.

I have added dimensions to these and those I posted previously. There is some variation in size and format. Are smaller skirts older, or from different subgroups, I wonder?

Attachments:
File comment: Iban (or related) ikat skirt, handspun cotton and natural dyes, 47cm x 96cm
KT59-3.jpg
KT59-3.jpg [ 96.95 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]
File comment: Iban or related ikat skirt, handspun cotton and natural dyes, 48cm x 99cm
KT60-1.jpg
KT60-1.jpg [ 99.37 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]
File comment: detail of above
KT60-2detail.jpg
KT60-2detail.jpg [ 146.35 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]
File comment: Iban tubeskirt, handspun cotton and natural dyes, 57cm x 100cm
KT54-1.jpg
KT54-1.jpg [ 110.92 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]
File comment: detail of above
KT54-3detail.jpg
KT54-3detail.jpg [ 129.76 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]