tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Today I received an email from one of our forum members, Rachel, who lives in the Cayman Islands. As some of you may know, Hurrican Ivan passed right over the islands a few weeks ago. What many of you many not realise - as the Cayman government has imposed a news black out - is the scale of the devastation.

I am posting below some extracts from the email which Rachel sent to me as a former Cayman resident (I lived on Grand Cayman for two and a half years in the first half of the 1970s). You will see that Rachel refers to the damage to her textile collection and loss of her library as well as withdrawal symptoms from lack of access to the tribal textile website.

She is using her email address linked to her membership registration on this forum. I am sure that you will join me in sending our heartfelt good wishes to her as she struggles to rebuild her life.

Quote:
Hello...........I thought that maybe as a x-Cayman resident that you would like a Hurricane Ivan update from ground zero............ Hurricane Ivan pretty much destroyed Cayman as both you and I remembered it............90% of all homes were damaged as the winds blew for two days at 160 mph with gusts at 208 mph..........the entire Island was under water as the sea from the South Sound merged with the North Sound...............waves were on average 25 feet high although there were some people who reported seeing a 50 foot wave come in on South Sound............South Sound, Bodden Town and East End took the biggest hits..........roads in those areas are pretty much gone...........parts of South Sound road look more like a beach although up by East End the sand drifts reached twenty feet high covering just about everything in sight.............entire condo complexes are gone.............

my condo was a complete loss.............the water level on the ground floor was 6 feet and the roof blew off when the gable wall cracked............once my roof was gone the entire upstairs was blown to shreds...............you could almost see from one end of my condo to the other as most of my interior walls recieved heavy damage.............I was only able to salvage probably 5% of my belongings most of my textiles I managed to dig out of the rubble and wash although some were torn by the wind..............I can't tell you how many hours I spent soaking drywall out of pieces or pulling insulation out.............some pieces the dyes rans horribly as they were in water for days................I lost my entire library of textile books..............very sad about that..............although I did manage to save some of my pictures from my travels in SE Asia............I just got power where I am staying this week five weeks after the storm..............I can't tell you how I loved my first hot shower and my first night not sweating buckets while I tried to sleep.............I think it will take a long time before Cayman even comes close to what it was before............ there is still a curfew in place and they aren't letting anyone on the Island who isn't a resident or Caymanian...............I am jobless and homeless but what can you do..............just roll with the punches I guess or in this case the wind................my life has changed in an instant and I am trying to learn from all of this instead falling between the cracks...............

I can't tell you how much I missed not being able to log into the tribal textile website................there's so much we take for granted ............. bye for now........... Rachel

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

See http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... =1002#1002 for some signs of recovery of spirits for Rachel thanks to a 'textile fix'! It reminds me of a series of old adverts for Heineken beer claiming that it 'reaches the parts that others cannot reach'. This is very appropriate as far as I am concerned since I have fond memories of downing ice cold 'greenies' (bottled Heineken) after scuba dives when I lived in the Cayman Islands in the 1970s and was an active member of the local branch of the British Sub Aqua Club - but, as they say, that is another story!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource