tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: children clothing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:38 am 

Dear friends of the textiles world.

Only recently I started collecting children clothing and all kind of "child related "textiles. And I must say that the textile virus has caught me. I am looking for information (books, websites, collectors etc) about all child related items. Who can help me?????? Thank you so much !!!

Post subject: Re: children clothing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:00 pm 

Monique - my congratulations and sympathies.

That virus is quite virulent, contagious and expensive. It's side effects include making you dream of textiles and becoming a bit of a bore to non textile nuts like the rest of us. You will spend your time searching out examples and you will start looking for any conversational opening to introduce your latest find. -It's wonderful!!

I'm not sure how broad your interest is at this point. A friend made me a present of a beautiful book in Chinese on Miao (?) baby carriers which I don't collect but love looking at.

I am posting the only child's textile I have which is a beaded child's vest from the American plains Indians probably early 20th century.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

monique wrote:
Dear friends of the textiles world.

Only recently I started collecting children clothing and all kind of "child related "textiles. And I must say that the textile virus has caught me. I am looking for information (books, websites, collectors etc) about all child related items. Who can help me?????? Thank you so much !!!

Attachments:
File comment: Beaded child's vest back. American Plains indians. Early 20th cent.
child_vest_back_.jpg
child_vest_back_.jpg [ 51.75 KiB | Viewed 10248 times ]
File comment: Beaded child's vest front. American Plains Indians. Early 20th cent.
child_vest_front_.jpg
child_vest_front_.jpg [ 56.84 KiB | Viewed 10248 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Monique

I think that there is very little literature which features only children's clothing. Usually you find information on children's textiles given as part of the whole - i.e. covered with adults.

There is 'Bonding via Baby Carriers: The Art and Soul of the Miao and Dong People' which has been mentioned two or three times on this forum. The book was published to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Les Enphantes Co. (of Taiwan) - a children's wear and products company. see China bibliography. Generally children's clothing is a smaller version of adult clothing although baby carriers are a unique (and very collectible) form of textile. Children's hats also tend to be specifically for children and not mere smaller versions of the adult's.

I have some children's clothing (as well as several baby carriers). This include's a few hats. I am also attracted to the Miao/Hmong girl's pleated skirts since they is very much miniature versiona of the adults' but yet they do not take up so much room - nor are they as heavy if you are having to carry/ship it home - as the women's similar skirt. This is a particular consideration if it is hemp since hemp, especially if it is at all damp, is very heavy. If you use the Google search on the main www.tribaltextiles.info website and put in 'child' that should narrow down some material for you.

However, I think that in general you will have to stay with the grown-ups to learn about the children's textiles!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Children's clothing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:04 pm 

Monique, hello

I have not come across any books specifically dedicated to children's clothing in the area that I am interested (batik from south east Guizhou, China).

I would like to post three examples of children's batik clothes, each of which is different from the adult's version. Note that the Rao Jia waistcoat has been through the batik process twice to give the two shades of blue.

Having two young children of my own, I must say that collecting kid's clothing can be great fun with a large 'cute' factor involved.

Enjoy your new obsession.

Attachments:
File comment: Gejia child's jacket. Guizhou, China
Ge Jia kid's jacket 1.1.jpg
Ge Jia kid's jacket 1.1.jpg [ 58.4 KiB | Viewed 10207 times ]
File comment: Gejia child's jacket. Guizhou, China
Ge Jia kid's jacket 1.2.jpg
Ge Jia kid's jacket 1.2.jpg [ 57.86 KiB | Viewed 10207 times ]
File comment: Raojia child's waistcoat. Guizhou, China
Shang Rao Jia kid's bei xin 1.1.jpg
Shang Rao Jia kid's bei xin 1.1.jpg [ 60.44 KiB | Viewed 10207 times ]
File comment: Raojia child's waistcoat. Guizhou, China.
Shang Rao Jia kid's bei xin 1.2.jpg
Shang Rao Jia kid's bei xin 1.2.jpg [ 59.99 KiB | Viewed 10207 times ]
File comment: White-collar Miao child's jacket. Guizhou, China
Bailing Miao kid's jacket 1.1.jpg
Bailing Miao kid's jacket 1.1.jpg [ 58.73 KiB | Viewed 10207 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Andrew

I don't need to be 'converted' to batik as I appreciate it already. However, if I was not an enthusiast I am sure that I would still enjoy these pieces. Some stunningly technically exquisite work in these children's jackets - especially one and three where the overall design is also very pleasing (to me). Number 2 (i.e. 3rd photo from top) just has to raise a smile with that quirky bird. I like the way the wax resist has been drawn with the 'cut' of the jacket in mind and, of course, the size - small.

Thanks for sharing some very nice pieces from your collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

For an embroidered child's jacket see the Dong jacket on thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=149 Andrew thought that this might have been made from 3 aprons. I am not sure if it is actually made from aprons but it is entirely likely that the sewer of the embroidery made several embroidered motifs of a similar size and then they are used for various elements of clothing - a bit like making blocks for a patchwork quilt.

I am posting some (not very good) photos of a Miao child's skirt and jacket from Huangping county, Guizhou. I believe that it is similar to a woman's festival skirt and jacket - a very fine miniature version and in many ways so much more attractive than the adult version would be.

Attachments:
File comment: Miao, Huangping county - child's skirt and jacket
Miao-Huangping-child-sk-jk.jpg
Miao-Huangping-child-sk-jk.jpg [ 56.78 KiB | Viewed 10191 times ]
File comment: Miao, Huangping county - child's skirt, detail
Miao-Huangping-child-skirt-det.jpg
Miao-Huangping-child-skirt-det.jpg [ 58.68 KiB | Viewed 10191 times ]
File comment: Miao, Huangping county - child's skirt, silk and cotton
Miao-Huangping-child-skirt.jpg
Miao-Huangping-child-skirt.jpg [ 52.45 KiB | Viewed 10191 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:29 am 

Dearest Pamela and Andrew,

Thank you so much for your contribution.Yes I have already noticed that finding a book especially about children clothing is difficult. The only one I found untill now, was the book Babies celebrated from Beatrix Fontanel. Which I think is a beautiful book with lots of information. But you never know...................... I will surely look for the book about the babycarriers.
When I find a new treasure I am so often surprised not only by the craftmenship of the person that has made the object but also by the love. A small hat, a dress tells you so much about the culture of a country. Well I will keep you update on my adventures in the textile world. Thank you again! Monique

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:37 pm 

Hi Friends,

I'm sorry to have taken so long to comment on this thread. I find the subject of children's clothes to be fascinating for the simple reason-how does one define childhood?

It seems in many SEAsian cultures that childhood is the least marked of life passages. Clothing changes in females at puberty/adolescence, at marriage, childbirth, middle, and old age, and at death, with ritually prescribed textiles at each state. Of course, not all the chronological stages may be proscribed in each tradition, and status and weaving skill are equally significant.

Male clothing also goes through life changes, as well as reflecting status and masculine skills.

Some attention to children's clothing is found in "The Vanishing Tribes of Burma", which I mentioned before. The photos merely show most children being dressed as miniature adults. I was probably too preturbed to see Pao Karen little girls of 3-6 years, already wearing 3 or more brass rings on their necks to stretch them. Other groups may begin other ornamental features, such as facial tatooing, in childhood. Young boys are spared a bit, as their body tatooing usually begins at puberty.

I also wonder if specific children's clothing becomes the first to be discarded in acculturation. While in Southern Thailand, I photographed many children who were simply wearing western children's clothing, tattered as they may be. Almost all the women were wearing the basic SEAsian attire of cheap cotton sarong and teeshirt/blouse. Muslim women have begun dressing their little girls in veils, earlier and earlier.

Birthing rituals, including specific textiles for both mother and infant, are a whole other subject.

Sandie

PS

I have several Miao textiles from China, which echo the designs in batik. White stitching on indigo cloth, trace the same patterns of birds and flowers found in many batik designs. I have one interesting textile which seems a kind of vest-long with a width of more than 12 inches, the stitched portion consists of openings on either side, creating deep pockets. These panels may be older than the commercial blue cloth which connects them. Any clues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:48 pm 

Dear forum,
Yesterday I received two new “goodies “/books for my contagious hobby. One book was mentioned on the forum “Bonding via baby carriers” and the other I had found on the website of the textile museum of Washington (www.textilemuseum.org) : “Family ties in Asian Textiles”, a thin booklet ($9,95, see picture)) published on occasion of an exhibition at the Honolulu academy of arts. In the 35 pages a lot is explained about children’s and adult costumes of China and Japan. I enjoyed reading through it.
Drip by drip I gather information about children’s costumes, but this makes my hobby even more interesting. Like for example last week I talked with a young man from China who is temporarily living next to my parents. I showed him a few of the Chinese clothing I have gathered until now. As he saw one of the little baby hats, he recognised a sign that was written on a silver decoration on the hat. It was the “double happiness” sign (see picture), which indicates that they wish the baby will have a happy marriage. Of course I have written all of this down in my computer.

Attachments:
File comment: the "double happiness"sign
dscn227110x15_.jpg
dscn227110x15_.jpg [ 52.08 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]
File comment: book "Family ties."
dscn227010x15_.jpg
dscn227010x15_.jpg [ 56.97 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:59 pm 

Dear friends,

Again I have found a new and interesting book about children's hats:
"Stories of Chinese children's hats:Symbolism and folklore" by Christi Lan Lin. The book is also mentioned in the book "Bonding via Baby Carriers." In the 69 pages it gives a lot of information about Chinese children's hats, the symbolic value of the different decorations. Unfortunately it is out of print and it took me quite some work to find a "lost"copy. But I am very happy to be able to gather more information on my favorite topic! Iam confinced that step by step I will be able to gather the information I am looking for!
Keep you all updated! Monique

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:43 pm 

Again a book especially about children clothing:

Children of the Gods: Dress and Symbolism in China
by Naomi Yin-Yin Szeto and Valery M. Garrett
Urban Council of Hong Kong ISBN 962 7039 22 5
In 1990, the Hong Kong Museum of History teamed with Valery M. Garrett to produce an exhibit on traditional children's clothing in China. Between the two, an elaborate collection was assembled from various regions around the country. This book does a wonderful job of not only giving the reader a high-quality visual experience of the clothing, but the text (in English and Chinese) also helps explain much of the complex and fascinating symbolism to be found in the embroidery. From animals and plants to deities and everyday objects, vivid graphics and simple drawings illustrate excellent examples of traditional needlework. And the pictures of the clothing themselves bring the explanations together nicely. Included also are sections on folklore, hairstyles, toys and games, baby carriers, and jewelry and charms. A good book for anyone interested in traditional Asian embroidery as well as folklore and symbolism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Monique

You might like to look at this on-line gallery on chidren's clothing which I have just found is on the www.aisanart.com website: http://www.asianart.com/exhibitions/honolulu/index.html
'Family Ties in Asian Textiles: Children's and Adults Costumes from Japan and China' based on an exhibition at the Honolulu Academy of Arts in 2000/01