tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:07 am 

Hello all,
have a look at the Kalinga tribe and a bit Gadd√°ng tribe part of my collection. The Kalinga tribe is from Luzon, Northern Philippines and are former headhunters, hence the so gracefull axes ("not used for cutting their hamburgers"). The Gadd√°ng tribe are their neighbours and were not really headhunters but sometimes forced to.

I also collect from the other N.-Phil. tribes like the Ifugao, Bontoc and the Ilongot (few textile) and perhaps the Kankanay. This has been my speciality for quite many years and am busy with it almost every day.

Hopefully I inspire other members to also share their (N.-) Philippine textiles?!?!?? (AGAIN?)

Enjoy!

Attachments:
File comment: Kalingatribe part
IMG_4231.jpg
IMG_4231.jpg [ 125.3 KiB | Viewed 2452 times ]
File comment: Gadd√°ng tribe part
IMG_4237.jpg
IMG_4237.jpg [ 125.5 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:37 pm 

Thank you for sharing photos of part of your collection! It looks wonderful! Might you have any photos of individual textiles? It would be useful to learn more about the different tribes' textiles. This forum has had some examples from the Philippines, but it's been a while and it's always good to see more. How long have you been collecting? I particularly like the inclusion of old photos- there's always much to learn from them.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 am 

Hello Susan, thank you for your compliment. I have been collecting a decade or two but have focused on only the N.-Philippines since a year or five (?). I started out collecting from around the world but ended up in only Borneo and N.-Philippines, but sold the whole Borneo-part a year of five ago.

Actually I dont have photos of individual items as I buy so many stuff that it takes really too much effort to photograph them individually. I tried before to photograph my best items good, but its so complicated to make nice photos with good light sharp.
Because of the darker light is looks nicer but it looses in sharpness indeed! With flashlight photos always looks a bit 'amateuristic' but objects apear more sharp. What a dilemma! he he he.

Yes those old pictures are great! These are (for me) THE greatest way to learn and see how the 'good old stuff' should look like. Although they are in black and white, you can see the colors radiate at you when you see the real articles! Most of the pictures I got from the cd-rom of Eric Anderson named 'Kalinga textiles' or so(?). And than print on photopaper.

Perhaps will post some more pics of the rest of my collection some other day as got to resize them first.
\Best to all, Wouter