tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:44 am 

need help with the proper way to handle a tapa cloth. large 32x48 lots of damage...duct tape across one end on back...pieced in place with scotch tape to cover a hole on back....one edge very ratty, torn loose bits hanging off...several snagged tares in the center. Client dosen't mind trimming the cloth to get rid of the duct tape but wanted ideas before I do any thing to it. Thanks

[I have split this post to start a new topic - Administrator]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 am 

Tapa cloth is more similar to paper than woven cloth, so looking for methods for conserving damaged paper artifacts (old maps etc) might be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 am 

There is a very fine book on conservation of paper materials for museums and it has a small chapter on tapa cloth. I did not react quickly enough and buy it at the time it was available and when I returned to remedy this it was,of course, gone. I can't help with the title but a creative google might turn it up. The previous "repair" sounds horrible, good luck and keep to the mantra of only using other tapa to repair tapa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:13 am 
Site Admin

I have posted some info on the Books section of the forum about an on-line catalogue 'Paperskin: Barkcloth across the Pacific' from the Queensland Art Gallery in Brisbane. This will not help with the current problem/question but may be of more general interest re tapa

http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1589

Perhaps if more museums/art galleries were prepared to do this Jim's problem of the 'one that got away' might not happen!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:11 pm 

Fabric cloth is eminent by its uncomparable texture and conventional Southbound Ocean island patterns. An knitted artifact, made by bump strips of histrion strip, it can oft be pioneer in vast pieces (upto 5 feet by 7 feet) and was originally utilised for level coverings, curtains and collection. By hanging a bark artifact, you can modify an unexceptional domicile into an island oasis. You score to be unhurried, however, because cloth artefact is fragile and erogenous to lite, humidness and smallish (12 inches by 18 inches or inferior) or humongous (bigger than 12 inches by 18 inches) tapasto keep their integrity and beauty.