tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roti or Savu ?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hello all - me again.

i got one more i bought together with the Batak. Its either Roti or Savu - surely not that old (my guess would be around 40 years). Superb condition - didn´t change appearance through washing much(even if the water was pretty dirty), only got softer in texture.

appr. 174 / 90 cm (+ fringes)

Colors in this case are very good in the picture - only maybe a little too blue but otherwise it fits the actual piece pretty well (always of course depending on ones display calibration - im trying to photoshop a picture always in a way that it looks "exactly" like what it is on my Mac).

Again any kind of additional info would be deeply appreciated.
regards
udo

Attachments:
roti5a.jpg
roti5a.jpg [ 74.53 KiB | Viewed 5151 times ]
roti4a.jpg
roti4a.jpg [ 27.12 KiB | Viewed 5151 times ]
roti3a.jpg
roti3a.jpg [ 28.45 KiB | Viewed 5151 times ]
roti2a.jpg
roti2a.jpg [ 60.22 KiB | Viewed 5151 times ]
roti1a.jpg
roti1a.jpg [ 76.06 KiB | Viewed 5151 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:20 am 

Hi,
This is a very nice clean Savu selimut, likely greater blossom group, vegetable dyes, not so old, 20-30 yrs, but much nicer than what I have seen available these days. Enjoy!

Post subject: Savu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:20 pm 

I agree with Richard, definitely Savu, definitely Greater Blossom group (I love that term and besides, who wants to be in the Lesser Blossom group!). And likely the age he estimates. Nice textile.

http://www.markajohnson.com
Mark A. Johnson Tribal Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the info guys !

cheers
udo

Post subject: Greater Blossom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 am 

Hi, I wonder what you see in this cloth that tells you it is from the greater blossom group? I have been under the impression that rose patterns were not traditional clan motifs and could be used by anyone. Any further info on greater and lesser blossom groups would be interesting. Thanks. MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

My main source of information on Savu textiles is Genevieve Duggan's book 'Ikats of Savu: Women Weaving History in Eastern Indonesia' the first book in the Studies in the Material Culture of Southeast Asia published in 2001 by White Lotus. It is based on Duggan's 1998 MA thesis at the Institute of Anthropology at the University of Heidelberg.

There is a lot of very detailed information on the origin groups of the Savunese." Page 7: "All Savunese belong to a localised male origin group (udu), and to a non-localised female origin group (hubi). Udu means cluster, pile, stack, mound. Hubi means blossom. Page 9: "In Savu a person belongs not only to an udu but also to a matrifocal origin group called hubi (lit. blossom). While the male progenitor lines start with a newcomer, Kika Ga, some 50-60 generations ago, the progenitrix lines of origin start with two sisters who lived long before the arrival of Kika Ga in the mythical past of the island. Starting with the two sisters Muji Babo and Lou Babo, the society was divided in two halves (moieties) called hubi ae, the greater blossom, and hubi iki, the lesser blossom. Each Savunese can trace his/her progenitrix line back to one of the two ancestresses. The hubi have formed sub-groups in the course of time: wini (lit seeds). The hubi membership is especially relevant in the context of marriage and funerals."

Loincloths (hi'i) displaying three colours in the main band of motif - white, indigo and red - are known as a worapi. Hi'i apparently show less variety of motifs than ei (women's sarongs)

The larger motifs shown in Udo's selimut or hi'i do look to me, as MAC has noticed, to be based on a western flower motif and not the traditional hubi motifs and will not be restricted to either of the original hubi groups.

Page 55: "A more recent creation is the floral motif of European origin and now a favourite of Savunese men. Similar motifs, derived from books, are known on Flores as suster motifs, nun motifs, since they were introduced by missionaries during Dutch times. Missionaries on Savu being mainly Protestant no such terminology is known. These motifs can be very elaborate and thus reveals the skill of the weaver (fig 91). It is not restricted to any group and has no meaning in a ritual context. It is interesting to notice that these motifs are favoured by western tourists visiting the island...."

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 am 

I agree with Mac and Pamela, definitely Savu, and a 'free' pattern, not reserved for any particular hubi or iki. Nice cloth, though, with good, tight alignment. Also agree about age. From 1980 upwards.

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES