tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Balinese Story Cloth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm 

I was with Pamela at the weekend in London and found this very interesting cloth at the annual textile fair at the Hilton Hotel, Olympia in Kensington.
Even with my fairly extensive library and knowledge of Bali, I have not been able to identify this textile. The images are of the whole cloth and a closeup of the top right and top left hand corners.
I am hoping that there is a forum member out there that is going to be able to help me to identify this very interesting piece. and possible be able to decifer some of the Balinese script. It is in great condition and the colours are perfect, obviously hand painted.
Lesley

Attachments:
File comment: Whole Cloth
Balinese story cloth,1 .JPG
Balinese story cloth,1 .JPG [ 91.38 KiB | Viewed 7064 times ]
File comment: Top left hand corner
Balinese story cloth 2.JPG
Balinese story cloth 2.JPG [ 88.3 KiB | Viewed 7064 times ]
File comment: Top right hand corner
Balinese story cloth 3.JPG
Balinese story cloth 3.JPG [ 85.83 KiB | Viewed 7064 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 am 

Hi Lesley

That is a remarkable textile.

I am not very familiar with Balinese culture, but just wanted to say that the motif in the top row (gods in vignettes with supplicant figures, noting the halos and crowns) is characteristic of both Buddhist and Hindu art. Here are a couple of (Buddhist) examples from 12thC Borobodur.

So the tale may well be something that is, if not overtly religious, at least on the "approved list" of legends, eg Ramayana epic.

Attachments:
BorobG1-010.jpg
BorobG1-010.jpg [ 117.6 KiB | Viewed 7040 times ]
BorobG1-001.jpg
BorobG1-001.jpg [ 129.57 KiB | Viewed 7040 times ]

Post subject: Calendar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:34 am 

Lesley, I think this is a Balinese calendar. There was another one posted on the forum not so long ago under the thread title of Painted Textile or something like that. I had a quick look for it but couldn't find it. I'm not very good at searching the forum.

Susan Stem posted a good reply on the subject. Maybe you can search through her posts and find it.

Good Luck, MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 am 
Site Admin

MAC, Lesley

I think this must be the thread that MAC is thinking about: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1444
It was Susi Johnston in Bali who provided the ID not Susan Stem in Chiang Mai!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 am 

Hi Everyone
This piece of mine is indeed a Balinese Calender, thank you Pam for forwarding the thread from Susie from April, I must have missed this post.
I have referred to Eisman's book on Sekala and Niskala, the chapter on Pg 172 gives a full description of the Balinese calenders. I will take some time to decifer my cloth, but I think it is called a tikas.

Once again this proves the worth of this forum
Lesley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:44 am 

Hi Lesley,

(Aside: Let me know when you're next coming back to Bali. Look forward to seeing you.)

This piece is indeed a tika Bali. The word tika simply means "calendar" in Balinese. It doesn't refer to any particular type of calendar or specifically to this type of painting.

This piece would actually best be described as a Kamasan painting, rather than as a textile. It is a traditional type of painting made in very large quantities in the village of Kamasan on the south side of Klungkung. This village is famous as the historical centre for the court painters of the Klungkung palace. The ceiling of the Kertha Gosa (pavilion of justice) which still stands on the grounds of the former Klungkung palace, is the most famous example of the Kamasan style of painting.

Most Kamasan paintings depict scenes from the Ramayana and Mahabharata in a manner resembling the way these scenes are depicted in wayang kulit performances.

Calendars like this are a very popular souvenir purchase, as they are easy to transport (without stretchers). There are many examples of various levels of quality available in the market in Klungkung, and (of course) at the homes and shops of the painters' families all over Kamasan.

I hope this isn't raining on anyone's parade. These calendric paintings are indeed very interesting, and provide a nice window into one of the many systems the Balinese use for making sense of time, space, and the events of life and nature.

Again, I recommend Fred Eisman's chapter(s) on Balinese calendars in Bali: Sekala and Niskala published by Periplus. He has also self-published a relatively brief, yet in-depth volume specifically on Balinese calendars. I have a copy. It's in the library I set up in Nyuh Kuning, near Ubud. Anyone is welcome to use this reference library when they are in Bali. The focus is texts in Kawi, Balinese, Indonesian and English on matters of religion, culture and history in Bali.

BTW, I have a copy of a lontar text which allows one to determine the Balinese "horoscope" (one of the 35 signs on the painting here) for anyone born during the past 200 years or so. It also explains the characteristics (including the bete noire) for each "sign". If you want me to find out your Balinese "horoscope" just send me an email with your date and time of birth, and the place where you were born. Time zones matter in this case, and the Balinese switch from "today" to "tomorrow" very early in the morning rather than at midnight, like us.

Cheers,

Susi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:54 am 

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2005 ... alive.html

http://blog.baliwww.com/arts-culture/1320

And here you can see the proliferous nature of the calendrical type of painting in Kamasan, and even buy some if you like:

http://www.murnis.com/onlineshop/kamasa ... /index.htm

Murni is a very reputable dealer in antiques and crafts of Bali and other parts of Indonesia, and a lovely person as well.

The most highly-regarded Kamasan painter of the 20th century was Mangku Mura, and he was commissioned to repaint/restore the ceiling of the Kertha Gosa. His work has a purity, clarity and life that distinguish it from all others, at first glance. His daughter, Muriarti, who was his apprentice, continues in his footsteps, and she is a painter to seek out if you happen to visit the Klungkung area.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Mangku-M ... ese-Artist

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:02 am 
That is a remarkable textile.

I am not very familiar with Balinese culture, but just wanted to say that the motif in the top row (gods in vignettes with supplicant figures, noting the halos and crowns) is characteristic of both Buddhist and Hindu art.

[I have edited out the direct advertising link from this post and may consider removing whole post. - Admin]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:02 am 

Well observed. Balinese religion is an idiosyncratic blend of animism, Tantric Buddhism and Hinduism.