[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
tribaltextiles.info • View topic - Burmese Chin textile

tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Burmese Chin textile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:14 am 

Attachments:
chintextile2_.jpg
chintextile2_.jpg [ 56.26 KiB | Viewed 21920 times ]
chintextile10_.jpg
chintextile10_.jpg [ 58.4 KiB | Viewed 21920 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:59 am 

Post subject: Arakanese textiles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:39 am 

Post subject: More "vanishing..."
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:12 am 

Post subject: More on Mro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:55 pm 

There is little out there about textiles from this area, however, this particular textile is shown in the Textile Museum's Journal, p.31, Fig.12 & 13 as cited in Pamela's post. Garner and Bommer attribute it to the Mro and mention it as a woman's shoulder cloth called a 'naga pong'. I have a similar piece on my website and show it below.

I really love the weavings from this area because of the skill involved and the fine use of many different patterns. The double weaving which results in one side with pattern and the back without exemplifies expert weaving.

Thanks for bringing the weaving of this area to the attention of the Forum.

Attachments:
Mail-TAB112_Front.jpg
Mail-TAB112_Front.jpg [ 70.53 KiB | Viewed 21865 times ]
Mail-TAB112_Detail_Front.jpg
Mail-TAB112_Detail_Front.jpg [ 72.66 KiB | Viewed 21865 times ]
Mail-TAB112_Detail_Back.jpg
Mail-TAB112_Detail_Back.jpg [ 65.54 KiB | Viewed 21865 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:09 pm 

I thought I'd share this photo of a Mru woman wearing her traditional costume, which I took a couple of years ago in a village near Kyauktaw.

Her costume consists of a shawl (nana pong), breast cloth (marankite) and skirt (wantalite) complimented by her traditional silver belt and other jewelery, often made from old British colonial coins.

It is interesting to note that aspects of her costume are quite similar to that of both the Khami and Khumi groups. Her breast cloth is close to the Khami style, whilst her skirt has some similarities to the Khumi.

Her shawl, breast cloth and skirt have been decorated with sequins, a modern fashion statement, whilst the small glass beads along the edges of these are very traditional.

Attachments:
Mru Woman - Kyauktaw.JPG
Mru Woman - Kyauktaw.JPG [ 81.82 KiB | Viewed 21842 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Digna

Thank you very much indeed for posting the interesting photo of the Mru woman. I am particularly interested to see textiles in use as clothing so the photo really appeals to me. It is also interesting to see how traditional clothing, where it is still being worn today, both absorbs new influences - sequins - yet still incorporates traditional decoration - the small beads. Thanks for pointing out these features to us.

Yes, how the Mru, Khami and Khumi textiles have similarities in their weaving techniques and clothing styles. A real challenge for textile collectors who do not have the good fortune to collect in the field! I very much admire the weaving skills and the fascinating textiles of these peoples.

As you know, there is very little literature about them so it is especially good to be able see and learn more on this thread. As you may be aware, I have a small photogallery which I created initially a year ago on these Chin groups http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... _Zantu.htm from contributions which came via this forum. I hope that you, Susan and Tongzhi will not mind if, when I get a chance, I incorporate the very interesting contributions you have all made to this thread into the gallery?

[The earlier thread that I refer to is: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... c.php?t=16
there are also a few more photos from forum member Michael of textiles in his collection: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=125 I just mention these other threads and the gallery for new visitors to the forum who may be attracted to these fine textiles and want to see more of them.]

Thanks to you all for sharing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:07 am 

i am ok if anyone wish to use anything i put up. i like the way some of you gave your descriptions which leads me to ask something,
with regards to getting some idea or appraisal of some of these textiles' age, value and worthiness, i just wondering where and who does that since there seems to be a passion to either keep the traditions or the treasure. I like the art and creativity part of some newer textiles or collection, but there if there is a desire to collect, people would prefer the older and unrepeatable ones. some of us are in the buying, marketing and selling of it, from where can we understand pricing?

Please can any responses to the very interesting question posed by Tongzhi be posted on thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=195 that I am starting on the 'Tribal Textile shopping...' forum. Thanks, Pamela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:35 am 

I, too, would like to thank Digna for the lovely and informative photo, as well as the firsthand knowledge. It is always interesting to see the textiles in context, especially in this instance since I've always wondered who could be small enough to wear those chestcloths!

Re the dilemma of differentiating between the Khami, Khumi, and Mro, etc.: does anyone have any advice, considering the rarity of written material?

And, last but not least, many thanks to Pamela for creating a special archive of this material for us to study. It's a lot of work, but I'm sure others find these as useful as I do, and very much appreciate your efforts, Pamela.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:22 am 

Attachments:
Chittagong Hill Tracts.JPG
Chittagong Hill Tracts.JPG [ 53.2 KiB | Viewed 21784 times ]
Mru Hill People on the Border of Bangladesh.JPG
Mru Hill People on the Border of Bangladesh.JPG [ 76.67 KiB | Viewed 21784 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks to Diga for the very helpful information on literature on the Mru. I thought I would share with members my experience with sourcing these references.

The second book mentioned 'The Chittagong Hill Tracts: Living In A Borderland' is likely to be the easiest to locate as it is quite a recent publication (2000). I picked up a copy in a bookshop in Chiang Mai last October (2003) and was very excited as I had bought a very nice Mru skirt from a Chittagong Hills, Bangladesh Mru group in the Night Bazar from Laura Kan of ‘Pusaka’ only a few nights earlier (Laura helped Michael Howard with his research for his ‘Textiles of the Hilltribes of Burma’ book) and there were some good photos of similiar skirts being worn in the book. If anyone has a problem locating it, then try http://www.thailine.com/lotus/orders/orders.htm I have been unable to source the English language version of 'Mru: Hill People On The Border Of Bangladesh' although a copy of the German language version was available via http://www.addall.com/ book search not long after Digna posted information on the Mru literature. I managed to get a copy of the February 1993 (Vol 143, No.2) of the National Geographic with the article by Claus-Dieter Brauns which has some good photos although the minimalist text makes me wish that I could find the English language version of 'Mru: Hill People On The Border Of Bangladesh' which he co-authored. I have found 'The Geographic Attic' a helpful and efficient source of past issues of National Geographic. http://members.tripod.com/~Phil_Malarek/

best wishes,