tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Admin

This morning I received an email request from Ann Goodman to the forum for help with identifying an interesting textile in her collection:

Quote:
Dear Pamela,
For several years I have been puzzling over a beautiful headscarf in my collection. Aside from the decorative chain stitching on the silk panels, and the lovely tassels, the weaving of the dark indigo central portion of the scarf is quite interesting. I think it is Buyi, but I have not been able to put my hands on a definitive photo to support my supposition. Two other possibilities are Zhuang or Dai. I originally thought it was Yi, but I do not believe that to be the case now. Maybe someone on The Forum will know. I have attached JPEGS.

Best regards,
Ann

Various aspects of the textile chime bells in my head but no specific ID at the moment. A very interesting mix of various textile techniques which always catches my attention. I look forward, with Ann, to seeing any suggestions as to likely origin.

Attachments:
Buyi-scarf-w.jpg
Buyi-scarf-w.jpg [ 85.76 KiB | Viewed 2600 times ]
headscarf-w.jpg
headscarf-w.jpg [ 84.14 KiB | Viewed 2600 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Possibly Dong?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:41 pm 

I wonder whether if this could be related to the Guizhou Dong. It appears to have a famliar feel to the "reed clothing" found on pages 50-71 of "Costumes and Accessories of Chinese Minorities". Also the weaving appears to feel more Dong in appearance than Bouyei - the eight pointed flower for example. It appears that glass rod beads are used on the tassles? These make an appearance on several Dong jackets I have originating in Conjiang and Liping area of Guizhou.