tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yurt bands
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:18 am 

Hi. I am new to this group-first post. I live in South America and weave on a backstrap loom. I have recently become interested in yurt bands particularly those woven with a simple warp float pattern of alternating pairs and have been charting and reproducing the design. I have managed to find pictures online of three bands woven with this technique and was wondering if anyone has any in their collections or knows of sources of images online.

I first became interested in this as someone contacted me to find out if the structure was Andean pebble weave (which is very similar on the upper surface). It is not and so it was a challenge to figure out what it was. The more I looked at these bands which are around 48ft in length! the more I became fascinated by them.

Attached is one sample that I wove recently and the chart for a piece that I have just started so that you can see the structure of the weave.

Good to be here with you all,

Laverne

Attachments:
new yurt band project dsz.JPG
new yurt band project dsz.JPG [ 31.17 KiB | Viewed 6049 times ]
pouch back 1 dsz.JPG
pouch back 1 dsz.JPG [ 29.21 KiB | Viewed 6049 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:56 am 

Those are very pretty, Laverne, especially the part-finished one, and the charting is impressive too.

Here are a few Kirgiz designs. I occasionally see a complete tent band, but since there is not so much call for yurt bands these days they seem to be being turned into small mats by sewing several strips together. Here are details of three of these, made from three or four strips sewn together. One of them looks similar to your design.

These seem to date from the 1980s or thereabouts and I am not sure how many people are weaving these bands in central Asia these days.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of a mat made from a Kirgiz tent band
KF3.jpg
KF3.jpg [ 136.38 KiB | Viewed 6016 times ]
File comment: detail of a mat made from a Kirgiz tent band
KF2.jpg
KF2.jpg [ 136.39 KiB | Viewed 6016 times ]
File comment: detail of mat made from a Kirgiz tent band
KF1.jpg
KF1.jpg [ 138.7 KiB | Viewed 6016 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:59 pm 

Thank you so much, Chris! These are exactly what I am looking for. I am excited to see a slight variation of one of the border designs that I have already woven and also to have your confirmation that these are Kirgiz. The colours are amazing, aren't they? I can never seem to get red and blue to work together.

Are these part of your private collection?

I did a tutorial on weaving the border design on the third mat you show on my blog last week. I wonder if I could have your permission to show that mat on my blog this week as another example of that particular border. I would also like to chart and weave the deigns on the others and go showing them alongside the originals at some future date. Would that be okay with you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 am 

You are welcome to use the pictures on your blog Laverne, I am delighted that someone is interested in these designs. As a rug designer I like designs of this kind that have an equal balance of "figure" and "ground" and can be read either way. The hook motif occurs regularly on Central Asian carpets, Indonesian textiles, Chinese minority weavings and probably further afield too.

Yes, I agree about the colors, many combinations that I know I would not "get away with"! I think a certain amount of mellowing under the hot sun helps. I bought them on trips to the far northwest of China.

These mats I think are kicking around somewhere in the "miscellaneous tribal textiles" pile in my Beijing store. If I can find them I will dig them out and photo the whole mats. Might be May before I get to them though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:44 am 

Once again, Chris, thank you so much! I will keep you posted on my progress with these weavings.

Saludos from Bolivia,

Laverne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 am 

I just got back from the US where I got to meet in person the yurt band-all 48 feet of it- which got me started on this reproduction adventure.
Wonderful to see the colors and feel it. It is a much looser than weave than I had imagined. Here are a couple of pictures of it. One with a couple of bands I made reproducing the border design.

I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival on this trip. The first day was hot and crowded with temps well into the 90s. I gave a backstrap weavig demonstration at noon and then spent the afternoon in a yurt weaving. It was wonderfully cool inside the yurt-the felt provided good insulation. Next year I hope to return to the festival and I plan to take my reproductions to decorate the yurt.

Attachments:
P4250420.JPG
P4250420.JPG [ 86.44 KiB | Viewed 5832 times ]
P4240409.JPG
P4240409.JPG [ 87.15 KiB | Viewed 5832 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 pm 

Here is the best source of information on tent bands:
Architectural Textiles: Tent Bands of Central Asia
Richard Isaacson

This exhibition catalog, Architectural Textiles: Tent Bands of Central Asia by Richard Isaacson, is a ground breaking study. Nothing like this has ever been published before. Isaacson explores the use of the tent band as the functional support for the trellis tent (yurt) and its decorative role. This book includes the technical analysis of 32 objects as well as detail images of all the bands. The final section of the book allows the reader to see the full design of these bands across a three page spread, which average 1' x 52' in size.

124pp.; 47 full color plates; Softcover
http://www.textilemuseumshop.org/index. ... &Itemid=28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:53 pm 

Thank you Jeff. I just happened to be in DC at the end of May 2007 and I got to see this spectacular exhibition at the Textile Museum. I regret not having bought the book at that time.