tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is it a Dong woven bag?
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

I attach three photos of a woven bag which I bought about 4 years ago as 'a Dong bag from Guizhou'. My guess is that it was purchased from one of the dealers in Kaili, Guizhou who source textiles from all over China and possibly beyond.

The bag is not in its first flush of youth! It is made of woven cotton - black and buff - buff warp and weft with a supplementary weft of black. I don't know if both could be natural dyes or whether either or both are chemical. The lighter 'highlight threads are in silk - worn off in many places - which have been embroidered on top of the weaving. (The fact that it was embroidered became very clear as I looked at an enlargement of the detail photo.) I was interested in the construction of the bag itself - made from a rectangle but folded in a triangular way - reminded me of a friend who holds Japanese folded bag workshops although I am not, for one moment, suggesting that it could be Japanese!

The bag 'spoke' to me and cost me very little. I would like to be able to feel comfortable with its attribution and perhaps give it more of a location.

Attachments:
File comment: bag
dong-bag-03.jpg
dong-bag-03.jpg [ 53.31 KiB | Viewed 3439 times ]
File comment: bag - showing the inside
dong-bag-04.jpg
dong-bag-04.jpg [ 53.12 KiB | Viewed 3439 times ]
File comment: bag - detail of weaving
dong-bag-05.jpg
dong-bag-05.jpg [ 59.84 KiB | Viewed 3439 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: is it Dong?
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:16 pm 

Hi Pamela,

Just two thoughts on your beautiful bag: 1. I think the bag was salvaged from a larger textile and 2. It definetly has a Tai (or Dong) feel to it. I've never come across this particular folding technique, but I'm wondering if it was simply trying to save a sleeve of a larger garment. Thoughts anyone?

Sandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Sandie

I don't think that the construction has been the result of a need to salvage part of a textile. I don't think it was a sleeve either. I have seen this construction before for a bag for not in this region. The design is quite effective and the weaving design lends itself to the construction. The length of fabric taken to make the bag was a length of the warp with some fine lines at each edge. No doubt there was a length of fabric woven which was then cut for various uses - bags, mattress ends, curtain borders etc.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource