tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dong fragment?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Before I put my baby carrier away I thought I would share with you a small piece that I bought at the same time. I am presuming that it is Dong and also that it may be the bottom piece (tail as I have called it in the Dong babycarrier thread) from the bottom of a baby carrier. When I bought it I was told it was from a boy's baby carrier. I can't guess why.

The central panel is very, very fine weaving (the white thread seems to be silk) but I think that the coloured (silk) threads in the centre of some motifs may be embroidered. The bottom (rather worn) is silk embroidery over some kind of stuffing - can't guess that make-up. The central panel is framed at the sides with red (bought, machine woven) fabric with tiny silk embroidered cross-stitch. There is fine machine stitching sewing this and a plain framing bad. The indigo background fabric seems to be hand spun/woven.

On the reverse is an applied strip of woven indigo and natural cotton hand spun and woven fabric which I suppose gives some extra strength and firmness to the piece.

In 'Ethnic costume from Guizhou: Clothing Designs and Decorations from Minority Ethnic Groups in Southwest China' (see China bibliography on the main tti site) on page 57 there is a Dong apron with an almost identical piece of weaving.

I was attracted by the very fine weaving of the central panel. I just cannot resist the skill of such fine work.

Attachments:
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_2_.jpg
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_2_.jpg [ 65.54 KiB | Viewed 5851 times ]
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_3_.jpg
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_3_.jpg [ 42.92 KiB | Viewed 5851 times ]
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_4_.jpg
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_4_.jpg [ 57.01 KiB | Viewed 5851 times ]
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_6_.jpg
dong-baby-carrier-piece-_6_.jpg [ 54.45 KiB | Viewed 5851 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:52 am 

Very interesting.

It looks like a finer and older predecessor? of a piece I have. Mine is structurally similar with the same shapes of pieces in the same place, but the content is a little different. I have newer embroidery on the sides and a woven rectangular piece of weaving in place of the embroidered flowers. The center weaving is the same type of black and white geometric weaving set at diagonals.

A few questions:

Which direction is the weft? Mine strangely runs the length of the piece.

Are there any ties or clues as to how it was used?

Mine is in the unclassified mystery box and it would be great to learn a little more about it.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:40 pm 

When I saw this piece, my immediate thought was that the red lengths of embroidered cloth look like they came from the front edging of a White Collar Miao jacket and you have yourself a piece that has been machined together for the market. The style of the butterflies, alternately facing left and right is a typical White Collar Miao design.

However, if James has similar pieces to this, I'm presumably wrong.

Have you come across this style of red cloth and embroidery with the Dong before?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

James

Interesting to hear of your similar piece.
Quote:
Which direction is the weft? Mine strangely runs the length of the piece.
My weft appears also to run down the length of the piece.
Quote:
Are there any ties or clues as to how it was used?
No, no ties or clues re use. The end with the embroidery has some oddities. The blue binding at the bottom is not hemmed down but is folded as if it has been. Perhaps it was attached here to a band? Also near to this rectangle of embroidery, in the centre is a (probably 4cm long) piece of black tape (on top of a different black edging). I don't know if something was attached here also.

Perhaps in the future, having aired our curiosity, we may get some feedback.

Andrew

Not only James' piece suggests Dong but also the 'Ethnic costume from Guizhou: Clothing Designs and Decorations from Minority Ethnic Groups in Southwest China' Dong attribution to an almost identical piece of weaving. Also, I know I have seen some photos somewhere in my literature of some similar 'stuffed' embroidery attributed to Dong.

Thanks to the contributions from you both.

Post subject: areal features
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:43 pm 

Hi Pamela,

Your piece is gorgeous; I always take pleasure in more colorful textiles, even though they may use artifical dyes.

Now that more textiles are coming out of China, it may be the time to start looking at features specific to certain areas; type of embroidery, motifs, and coloring may be important to nail down across the weaving spectrum.

The hilltribes embroider; the Tai do not. But clearly the range of embroidery in minority China is far more diverse than anything the Hmong and Mien do elsewhere.

And let's assume that the textiles illustrated in this Forum are purchased by people who know what they are buying, but may need assistance in identification-

Sandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:47 am 

The mystery continues.

I should have added last night that mine has ties on the end that is at the top of your photograph. Long enough to go around a neck and tie, but not much longer.

Added to the panel which would be at the bottom of your photograph is a longer panel of dong cloth which has been rudely cut off but is 7cm high and extended wider than the piece for an undisclosed lenth. (Those ends are the ones that have been cut off.)

I worry because your piece looks longer, but is there any chance that these are chest pieces worn underneath a jacket? I know they're not square which would be the usual shape of such a piece, and I have no good anecdotal or photographic eveidence, but what's your feeling?

-James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
James

PS: Pamela- Isn't that your fragment from a couple of posts ago peeking out from under this piece on p. 57 of the Bonding via Baby Carriers book? It seems to have the same trim and everything. I found mine on the following page.

Well spotted! You are quite right - similar embroidered braid and woven panel! And the embroidered corner squares on the larger panel are reminiscent of the stuffed embroidery on one end of my piece.

If everyone who has contributed Dong photos is happy I would like, when I get a few moments, to put together a small Dong photogallery as I have for Li, Khami, Jingpho bags... as it is good to be able to compare the pieces and see them more easily than on a string of messages. When I do it I will check with the various 'contributors'. I will also gather together the various references and very helpful information which you have given James. If you felt able to contribute any photos - post them on the forum - that would also be appreciated. I like to build these accessible resources especially when there is not much literature around. Don't hold your breath but I will get around to it!