tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:10 pm 

James
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of Guangxi textiles with us!
I am just trying to find the textile ref you gave above. I have 2 vols on Guangxi and wonder if these are the same as the book set you mention above. The transliteration I was given for my copies are as follows: - "Art of Guangxi Minorities Customs." the first set of 2 vols is subtilted "Colourful Costumes" and includes 1 vol of people from various tribes in traditional dress, the other vol is all photos of the textiles themselves. The 2nd set of 2 vols, ( which I don't have) is exclusivley on baby carriers, in all 4 vols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:41 am 

James- Many, many thanks for your informative post. I am most grateful for the information about the locations of Dong villages, and hope to put it to good use!

Regarding the fragment I posted: it indeed was cut, and I assumed it was originally part of one of the long pieces on the baby carrier that we've discussed. It's not the first one I've seen with the red (actually dark pink) stripes, tho most do not have them. I really do not have any idea why they're there except possibly to enliven the design; they are very precisely located at the centers and points of the diamonds. Curious...

I am also posting another one which is complete, at 19cm x 185cm, and has cotton wefts at one end for 1cm (at what may be the starting edge, because the design is complete; is this for technical reasons?), then the wefts become silk, silk warps, and floating silk wefts. (Apologies for the photos not being too clear.) It is rather oddly colored with one side (I presume the front) having a purple tint over the dark off-white background and brown color of the design. How does this compare to your pieces? Do you think it's from Zhouxi, and therefore Miao? And would this length have been used on a baby carrier?

Attachments:
mail-tach167_back.jpg
mail-tach167_back.jpg [ 50.41 KiB | Viewed 4106 times ]
mail-tach167_front.jpg
mail-tach167_front.jpg [ 35.98 KiB | Viewed 4106 times ]
mail-tach167_detail.jpg
mail-tach167_detail.jpg [ 51.08 KiB | Viewed 4106 times ]

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Susan

Very fine weaving! Possibly the cotton at one end was to give strength and stability at the very start of the weaving especially if this was the first piece of a new warp. I am only guessing.

May I second your thanks to James for all his generous and helpful information on Guangxi. I am attracted there especially based on my somewhat limited experience in 2000 when I was fortunate enough to visit some villages there which had see very few Westerners, many, including some men and young women were still wearing traditional costume as part of daily life - of, at least, for market day.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:08 am 
Site Admin

During my recent trip to south west China which encompassed sout-east Guizhou and northern Guangxi I was fortunate to stay a night in the Dong village/township of Xhaoxing in Liping county, Guizhou province. This village has been open to visitors for quite a long time. It is the largest Dong village in China with more than 1,000 households. It has 5 drum towers and five 'wind and rain' covered bridges.

A drawback of the township having been open to tourism for some time was some very irritating old Dong ladies agressively selling textiles who persisted in pestering us whenever we emerged from our guesthouse. If only they had realised that backing off a bit would have engendered far more sales especially as we were a group of textile fanatics!

However, amongst their textiles I was very pleased to find some fine woven headcloths similar to the one which started this thread as a mystery to be solved - page one of the thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... sc&start=0 . The women - old and younger alike - asserted that the cloths were woven in the township/area and were headcloths. I asked two different women to show me how they were worn and both demonstrated tying the two adjaceant corners to form a type of hood which they then placed on their heads. Although generally what seem to be slightly later woven clothes are slightly longer i.e. more of a rectangle than a square, there was one newer headcloth which was pretty small and square which was also demonstrated in the same way. I did not see any women actually wearing these headcloths in Xhaoxing or around but some women were wearing what appeared to be slightly more rectangular headclothes in plain natural woven cotton. These head coverings had not yet been overtaken by the ubiquitous towelling cloths which regrettably so many of the minorites across the countries of south-east Asia are increasingly adopting to replace traditional woven head coverings.

I post below two cloths that I bought in Xhaoxing - I think that the plain, dark indigo weave is older - and also two different women modelling similar cloths.

Attachments:
File comment: woman's woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province - probaby the most recent of the cloths shown
IMGP4606w.jpg
IMGP4606w.jpg [ 53.34 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: Detail of woman's woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4604w.jpg
IMGP4604w.jpg [ 61.18 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: woman demonstrating wearing a woven headcloth - note tied corners - in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4256w.jpg
IMGP4256w.jpg [ 54.34 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: woman demonstrating wearing a woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4257w.jpg
IMGP4257w.jpg [ 56.45 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: woman's woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4597w.jpg
IMGP4597w.jpg [ 63.55 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: Detail of woman's woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4605w.jpg
IMGP4605w.jpg [ 64.99 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
File comment: woman demonstrating wearing a woven headcloth in Xhaoxing township, Liping county, Guizhou province
IMGP4209w.jpg
IMGP4209w.jpg [ 57.6 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource