tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: complete loom from Bali?
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 pm 

For a consinger I have to find a new home for a complete loom but before that I have to find out wher it is from and maybe anyone can say something about the age?

I will list some pics, it looks like a supplementary weft ikat.

regards Arjan.

Attachments:
weefgetouw_002.jpg
weefgetouw_002.jpg [ 79.14 KiB | Viewed 4637 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 pm 

mytribalworld wrote:
For a consinger I have to find a new home for a complete loom but before that I have to find out wher it is from and maybe anyone can say something about the age?

regards Arjan.

Attachments:
weefgetouw_005.jpg
weefgetouw_005.jpg [ 79.43 KiB | Viewed 4634 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:43 pm 

mytribalworld wrote:
mytribalworld wrote:

regards Arjan.

Attachments:
weefgetouw_010.jpg
weefgetouw_010.jpg [ 91.38 KiB | Viewed 4632 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:08 am 

It's hard to be sure as the 'photos don't really show the textile to best effect, but I would suggest that it is more likely to be from West Timor than from Bali. Could you post some better pictures of the textile rather than the loom? Regards, Jim

Post subject: complete loom from Bali?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

Dear Arjan, I just had this all typed out and then somehow lost it so will start again. The textile on your loom looks like it has continuous supplementary weft woven patterns. It looks a bit shinny. Could the weft thread be a silver metalic wrapped thread? Your statement that your textile is a supplementary weft ikat is confusing. Ikat is a dyeing technique producing dyed patterns and quite different from supp. weft woven patterns. The Batak of Sumatra did supp. weft woven patterns over underlying , previously dyed , warp ikat patterns, usually pulled arrow ikats, but I don't see any ikat patterns on your textile. The Balinese did a lot of supp. weft woven patterns, usually in silk or metalic wrapped thread and sometimes combined these woven patterns with weft ikat. The nagas on the warp beam holders point to Bali or Bali influenced Lombok. It is interesting that the wooden backstrap is plain and not covered with carved designs. I will go back and have another look but I don't remember seeing a breast beam. Each ethnic group seems to have a unique style of breast beam. I saw some Bali influenced Lombok breast beams in Bali in the late 70's but they were thinner, more curved and fully carved. The weaver sits lashed between the backstrap and the breast beam at the opposit end of the weaving from the warp beam. The breast beam would be two identical parts between which the warp threads would be firmly clamped. If the warp threads are discontinuous they would have to be wrapped around the warp beam and the cloth already woven would be rolled up around the breast beam as the weaving progressed. With the already woven textile streatched out as it is on your loom, I don't think it would be possible to continue the weaving. unless the warp is continuous in which case the entire warp is shifted around the beams as weaving progresses. Most weft brocades have a patola layout with side borders and rows of triangles and other designs on the ends. Your textile seems to be one, continuous, repeating pattern. Your loom may be from Bali but I would like to see the breast beam and have more info. Hope this is of some help. MAC