tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sandie's mystery textile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Sandie Shamis has asked me to post a photo of a mystery textile in her collection. She says of the piece:
Quote:
This cloth is a genuine puzzle. It is woven haphazardly, with little coherence. It contains one certifiable "Khosa Singh" to the left, but to compound the mystery, in the right center is a figure which only makes sense if the cloth is looked at from above. That figure appears to be the head of an elephant, but with tusks. It differs from other T'ai textiles in its chaotic overall effect as well.

The mystery textile also provides a lesson. It pays to sit down and go over every single item either in a village or in a pile at a market. It helps to bring water. Also, despite structural questions, this cloth with its narrow weft, clearly belongs to the T'ai world.

Age: second half of the 20th century. Silk with silk supplementary weft, probably natural dyes, red probably Lac.

[I am not sure how 'true' the colour in the photo is to the original textile as it is several times removed. The textile was photographed, made into a postcard which was scanned by me and then 'enhanced' somewhat as the colours had 'faded' in the printing to card process. Never having seen the textile I have no form of reference for the colour. ]

Attachments:
File comment: Sandie's mystery T'ai textile
Sandie's mystery T'ai textile.jpg
Sandie's mystery T'ai textile.jpg [ 26.34 KiB | Viewed 2865 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: compounded mysteries
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:30 am 

Hi Pamela,

You did a great job on the color, considering all the intervening steps you had to take.

I was initially annoyed with myself for cutting off one side. But as I remember, my initial reason was to show the weft striping which illustrates both the T'ai narrow weft, and the boundary stripes which demark many smaller textiles. Its overall size may indicate a headcovering or another small textile.

Thanks,

I look forward to the responses.

Sandie