tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

I am posting some photos on behalf of Martin Conlan who has two babycarriers which he is wondering whether anyone can help him to identify. Possibly Miao or Dong.

Quote:
I hope you are well. I have a brief window of opportunity to send you images of 2 fine carriers from Eastern Guizhou I bought a number of years ago but am unsure as to their exact origins. Maybe someone on the forum will be able to be more specific, and to be able to confirm them as being Miao (or Dong?). I have only ever seen a couple more of these and they have always been comparatively expensive. On both carriers only one section of each has a shop bought printed cloth as the backing fabric.

I can't tell from these photos - and I have tried blowing up details - whether the designs are embroidery or applied braid. I am asking Martin if he can find a moment for a better close-up so that we can see the technique more clearly. They are certainly two very powerful carriers.

Attachments:
MiaoCarrier1E.Guizhou.jpg
MiaoCarrier1E.Guizhou.jpg [ 70.08 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]
MiaoCarrier1detE.Guizhouw.jpg
MiaoCarrier1detE.Guizhouw.jpg [ 75.53 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]
MiaoCarrier1w.jpg
MiaoCarrier1w.jpg [ 74.67 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]
MiaoCarrier2E.Guizhou.jpg
MiaoCarrier2E.Guizhou.jpg [ 53.9 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]
MiaoCarrier2.jpg
MiaoCarrier2.jpg [ 94.19 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:35 pm 

What great baby carries!

Based on the color scheme and design elements, I'd venture a guess and say this was a Geyi piece, though I'm not sure I've seen any Geyi baby carriers which are structured this way . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Jon

I know what you mean about the colours/tones which is reminiscent of Geyi and yet the construction of the baby carrier is not. Martin is going to send me a close-up of the embroidery stitches when he recovers from an exhausting 6-day fair. That might give us some more clues.

With Geyi in mind I am posting images of a couple of completely over the top Geyi (we think) baby carriers which suddenly appeared when I was with Gina Corrigan in May 2005 and we were visiting the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou province - not Geyi! We did not discover anything about these baby carriers and were rather stunned by them!

best,

Attachments:
File comment: baby carrier (1) seen in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou
IMGP2345w.jpg
IMGP2345w.jpg [ 61.81 KiB | Viewed 5511 times ]
File comment: detail 1 of baby carrier (1) seen in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou
IMGP2346w.jpg
IMGP2346w.jpg [ 81.21 KiB | Viewed 5511 times ]
File comment: detail 2 of baby carrier (1) seen in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou
IMGP2351w.jpg
IMGP2351w.jpg [ 67.27 KiB | Viewed 5511 times ]
File comment: second baby carrier seen in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou province in May 2005.
IMGP2344w.jpg
IMGP2344w.jpg [ 68.73 KiB | Viewed 5511 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

After the Geyi diversion I can now post some close-up images which I have made from a scan of one of the carriers which Martin has sent to me. He says of the stitches:
Quote:
"They are very tough braid stitches, very firm and stiff when you rub your nail along them.

My feeling is that they are in the general shape and makeup of carriers found around Liping district, Eastern Guizhou."

I still find it hard to tell if the bands of colour are pure embroidery or whether they are a ruched braid. I can understand why Martin termed the carrier Miao/Dong as the close-ups of the technique look rather like Dong braiding.

Attachments:
det-Miao-carrier3.jpg
det-Miao-carrier3.jpg [ 76.13 KiB | Viewed 5457 times ]
det-Miao-carrier1.jpg
det-Miao-carrier1.jpg [ 73.59 KiB | Viewed 5456 times ]
det-Miao-carrier2.jpg
det-Miao-carrier2.jpg [ 66.3 KiB | Viewed 5456 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Got it!!!

I was leafing through the very excellent book: "Baby Carriers" published by the National Museum of Prehistory in Taiwan when the book fell open at a double page spread p218/219 - detail and complete carrier - which is almost identical to Martin's. Figure 100a (detail of central circle design) and Fig 100 complete carrier
Quote:
"Embroidery baby carrier with paired phoenixes and gourd pattern Dong / Jiuzhai, Jinping, Guizhou 82x36.5cm"

The carrier also has similar braid for the top ties and self fabric reinforced for the bottom ties and the sides of the bottom panel also bound with red fabric.

We don't have permission to post photos from the book. If and when we do I will post photos but I will email scans to Martin.