tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yao Blanket?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:44 pm 

This is a blanket I purchased some time ago. Clearly an older piece, I was instantly attracted to the fine weaving, the subtlety of color, and the human and animal figures along the borders.

It was sold to me as a Zhuang blanket, which I quickly discounted. After showing it to some other dealers, including some from the Dong minority, the general consensus was that it was Yao, though with some strong Dong influence. The lack of indigo was apparently a major factor in the Yao attribution. I apologize for the inconsistent colors in the pictures. Detail 2 comes the closest to capturing the true color of this blanket.

However, since browsing through this site and reading the thread on Dong baby carriers http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=143, as well as seeing a very similar example on Susan's website http://tribaltrappings.com/TACH257.php, I am now not so sure about the Yao attribution.

Attachments:
Yao Blanket.jpg
Yao Blanket.jpg [ 65.88 KiB | Viewed 5596 times ]
Yao Blanket detail 1.jpg
Yao Blanket detail 1.jpg [ 67.2 KiB | Viewed 5596 times ]
Yao Blanket detail 2.jpg
Yao Blanket detail 2.jpg [ 69.18 KiB | Viewed 5596 times ]
Yao Blanket detail 3.jpg
Yao Blanket detail 3.jpg [ 69.21 KiB | Viewed 5596 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Jon

Fascinating old blanket. I am no expert on blankets but your detail 1 is so like the people and bird woven images in Dong babycarriers http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=143 - as you have obviously realised from looking through previous forum posts - I would have thought it was Dong. On that thread James Welcome - who spent time researching in Guangxi - says:
Quote:
The two patterns of ducks and women shown here are especially prominent in children's clothes from Guangxi Province. I have seen them directly woven onto children's jackets and aprons. I have been told by weavers in the Chengyang region that the use of the human figures is for protective purposes as they are supposed to keep an eye out for the child. I am currently looking at an older children's jacket hanging on the wall with almost the exact same patterns woven into the lower front of the jacket and diamond lozenges in the same proportions and colors as the shown piece. The overall shape of the backpack is very consistent with Dong pieces from Guangxi with the long thin panel shown in the lower part of the first image.
Iain's lovely hat on page 2 of the thread has the woven figures again.

However, as you have spoken to Dong dealers, I don't know!

I suppose it could be unusual for these images to be used in blankets rather than babycarriers but I don't see why a woman wouldn't sometimes use the same images in a blanket unless there was a real taboo about doing so.

I must be missing something re 'the lack of indigo' since to my eyes in the photos the supplementary weft threads look as if the thread is indigo dyed. Is it another dark dye not indigo?

Thanks for sharing this interesting and beautifully woven old blanket with us.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Dong attribution
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 pm 

I agree that this blanket cn be attributed to the Dong. In the book Minjian Zhijin (Chinese Woven Textiles). 1994. Hunan Fine Arts Publishing House. ISBN: 7535607039/ISBN-13: 9787535607034 on page 44 are weaving details in Image 62 and 63 similar to that shown here. Further similar images of Dong blankets appear on page 103, Figure 9 and 10 which originate in Hunan's Tongdau Dong Autonomous County 通道侗族自治县.
This flower pattern also appears on Dong headcloths in my collection - see similar images on Susans tribal trappings website
http://www.tribaltrappings.com/TACH209.php and http://www.tribaltrappings.com/TACH210.php.
I agree that the human figure (or indeed any other figure) need not be limited to a particular form of textile, for example, in the Dong section of the above book the same/similar human figures appear on baby carriers, bibs, headcloths and sashes. Likewise the double crane image appears on a variety of textiles. It is quite possible that the combination of images on the blanket under discussion are no longer being utilised but I do think that the evidence supports the strong probability of this piece being Dong.
See also http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=141&highlight=dong+head+cloth and http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?p=1166#1166

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:22 am 

Pamela, Iain,

Thank you both for your input. I am also strongly leaning towards a Dong attribution now.

The thread is not indigo dyed. It is a definite shade of brown, not blue. The colors in some of the detail photos are a bit deceiving.

Looking over my notes, the Dong dealers were the most adamant that this was not a Dong piece, mentioning that not having any indigo in a piece like this would be very unusual for a Dong textile. They were also confused by the iconography, specifically the birds being lined up instead of facing each other, and the empty spaces between the people holding hands.

I am attaching photos of a Dong headscarf that I have with the "proper" iconography and the use of indigo.

This eight petaled flower pattern is actually quite a common one among various minority groups, and can found on textiles from the Miao, Zhuang, Dong and Yao.

Attachments:
Dong headscarf.jpg
Dong headscarf.jpg [ 57.6 KiB | Viewed 5543 times ]
Dong headscarf detail 1.jpg
Dong headscarf detail 1.jpg [ 54.61 KiB | Viewed 5543 times ]
Dong headscarf detail 2.jpg
Dong headscarf detail 2.jpg [ 58.88 KiB | Viewed 5543 times ]

Post subject: Eight petalled flowers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:56 am 

Hi Jon
What a beautiful headscarf! Yes, as you say this eight petalled flower design appears in a number of minority groups as shown in this wildly vibrant Zhuang baby carrier below. Of course more subtle variations are also to be found in the Zhuang repetoire :) I should add that this eight petalled flower design appears in other groups outside of China - perhaps reflecting the ease of constructing this image on the loom? The combination of human figures, birds and eight petalled flowers does seem to occur quite frequently amongst the Dong. Regarding the birds in single file - I do have a Dong carrier where this is depicted.

Attachments:
File comment: Detail
Zhuang baby carrier
BC.Zhu.07.1

Zhuang detail.jpg
Zhuang detail.jpg [ 85.54 KiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Post subject: Voids
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:11 am 

hi Jon
I was just thinking about your comment
Quote:
and the empty spaces between the people holding hands.
and this leading to some confusion. This 'void' doesn't appear on any of the Dong textiles which include these human figures that I have collected and I can't recall this void in other Dong textiles either... mmm interesting variations your blanket is weaving.....