tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Qianxi Batik
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:27 am 

I would like to share two recent additions to my collection. I don't have much information on these, except that they are baby carrier panels from the region of Qianxi, Guizhou.

The batik work is quite fine, and somewhat reminiscent of that produced by the Gejia. I wonder if these could be from a related Miao subgroup? The abstracted figures are also quite pleasing to the eye, though for the life of me I can't figure out what they actually represent.

Any information any of you may have on this style of baby carrier would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Batik baby carrier 1.jpg
Batik baby carrier 1.jpg [ 60.88 KiB | Viewed 10158 times ]
Batik baby carrier 1 detail 1.jpg
Batik baby carrier 1 detail 1.jpg [ 62.53 KiB | Viewed 10158 times ]
Batik baby carrier 1 detaill 2.jpg
Batik baby carrier 1 detaill 2.jpg [ 62.02 KiB | Viewed 10158 times ]
Batik baby carrier 1 detail 3.jpg
Batik baby carrier 1 detail 3.jpg [ 67.95 KiB | Viewed 10158 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:32 am 

Number 2 . . . .

Attachments:
Batik baby carrier 2.jpg
Batik baby carrier 2.jpg [ 62.51 KiB | Viewed 10145 times ]
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 1.jpg
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 1.jpg [ 61.74 KiB | Viewed 10145 times ]
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 2.jpg
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 2.jpg [ 65.77 KiB | Viewed 10145 times ]
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 3.jpg
Batik baby carrier 2 detail 3.jpg [ 63.34 KiB | Viewed 10145 times ]

Post subject: Qianxi? Zhijin Counties?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:30 am 

Hi Jon
These wax resist carriers are truly a delight to the eyes and a testament to the incredible control women have in wielding wax!! I have several of these carriers - one slight difference being that silk threads are used to highlight certain areas. The embroidery is very restrained and uses a combination of button hole, running and back stitches.
Regarding the location of your pieces which you state to be Qianxi County. For others who may not know this is located in Bijie Prefecture. I wonder if this location is actually correct? The wax resist carriers from Qianxi that appear extensively in the literature are a little different albeit that the appearance of two smaller wax resist squares at the top and a single rectangle at the bottom. The carriers similar to those you post here that I have in my collection were all collected from Zhijin County - also located in Bijie Prefecture. One was specifically collected in Guanzhai town.

For Qianxi wax resist carriers:
See Guizhou shaoshu minzu: Beishan, pp. 96-105; 256. ISBN7221060177

For Zhijin wax resist baby carriers: (with embroidery as mentioned above)
See Guizhou shaoshu minzu: Beishan, pp. 262-271. ISBN7221060177
See Rhythms of Blue: Illustrated Catalogue to Indigo Dyeing of Minority Peoples of Southwest China, pp. 188-189. ISBN 9789860066135
See Bonding Via Baby Carriers: The Art and Soul of the Miao and Dong People, p. 94. ISBN 9577446582

Interestingly, although the carriers discussed here use wax resist the designs used are taken over into embroidered and appliqued baby carriers in both Zhijin and Qianxi counties.

For Qianxi embroidered and appliqued carriers:
See Guizhou shaoshu minzu: Beishan, pp. 235-237. ISBN7221060177
See Bonding Via Baby Carriers: The Art and Soul of the Miao and Dong People, p. 95. ISBN 9577446582
See Baby Carriers, pp. 106-107. ISBN 9789860104134

For Zhijin embroidered and appliqued carriers:
See Guizhou shaoshu minzu: Beishan, pp. 182-193. ISBN7221060177
See Bonding Via Baby Carriers: The Art and Soul of the Miao and Dong People, pp. 124-125. ISBN 9577446582
See Baby Carriers, pp. 108-109. ISBN 9789860104134

Stylistic variations of the layout and designs employed on these carriers is to be found in both Tongren, Anshun and Puding Counties to name a few that immediately jump to mind. As time allows for scanning and posting of some of my carriers will do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 am 

Here are a couple of images showing the restrained embroidered version of this carrier.

Attachments:
File comment: Miao baby carrier
Guizhou
Bijie Prefecture
Zhijin County
Guanzhai Town

Full view.jpg
Full view.jpg [ 92.82 KiB | Viewed 10105 times ]
File comment: Detail: Button hole stitch
BC.M.07.21

Detail.jpg
Detail.jpg [ 89.53 KiB | Viewed 10105 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:22 am 

Iain,
Many thanks for the references and information regarding these carriers, and for posting photos of yours with the embroidery. I love the way the dye from the embroidery threads has run a bit and given other parts of the carrier a bit of color!

As to the Qianxi attribution, that is what I was told by the dealer I bought it from. However, she very easily could have been mistaken. Since the literature and your own collecting experience all point to Zhijin, I am more than happy to defer to that attribution.

Thanks again Iain! And at the risk of sounding greedy, I would love to see more examples from your collection, if it's not too much trouble.

Post subject: Zhijin carriers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:58 am 

Hi Jon
Unfortunately all my carriers and paraphenalia are enroute to South Africa and I will only be able to access these again in several months time. Once they arrive in SA they will form part of a larger exhibition of my collection to coincide with the Olympics. I will post as and when time permits. In the meantime here is an excellent Zhijin embroidered carrier appearing on Susan's tribal trappings website. Although Susan states this is a more 'recent' example, the embroidery skill is phenomenal and a good example of the similarity to be found between embroidered and wax resist carriers from the Zhijin area.
http://www.tribaltrappings.com/TACH323.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

How interesting! The embroidery is a very fine echo of the usual wax resist. I am always amazed by the quality of the Zhijin waxing - this is pretty awe inspiring for the needle and thread.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Zhijin carriers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 pm 

This set of images on a disc left out of the packing! These show a fully embroidered Zhijin carrier using the so called "whole cloth" embroidery technique where an entirely new piece of fabric is created through the use of embroidery. This carrier is very similar to that shown by Susan and I have several in my collection having been attracted to the incredible patience and skill required to create such a piece. The skill and echoes of the wax resist designs on this carrier are clearly seen in the closeup detail.
Perhaps the most striking feature is the intricate couched gold gimp thread used as the infill for the abstract ?bats?butterflies?birds? outlined in couched white gimp thread. In between the white gimp outlines silk floss thread has been used in satin stitch to fill in the space - a space corresponding to the indigo colored areas on the wax resist carriers. In the top right hand corner of the image detail 2 there is also a small circle filled out in pink silk floss thread, using button hole stitch, which is echoed in the same position on the wax resist carriers.

Attachments:
Guizhou
Bijie Prefecture
Zhijin County
BC.M.08.32

Full view.jpg
Full view.jpg [ 92.01 KiB | Viewed 10005 times ]
File comment: Detail: Lower panel of babycarrier
detail 1.jpg
detail 1.jpg [ 106.97 KiB | Viewed 10005 times ]
File comment: Detail: Couched gold gimp thread infill of white gimp outline.
Satin stitch and button hole stitch are also used.

detail 2.jpg
detail 2.jpg [ 91.46 KiB | Viewed 10005 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 pm 

I include these images from the same disc as, although the overall layout and techniques are the same as others in my collection, it is the only one that incorporates a phoenix motif (seen in the outer frames and borders). The couched gold gimp thread infill is incredibly dense on this carrier - almost completely hiding the underlying red fabic and far exceeding the use of satin stitch. The phoenix form is completed in satin stitch with the tail incorporating chain stitch as a central element. In comparison the whipped white and orange cotton threads and the silk floss chevron design that delineates each panel appears somewhat less refined.

Attachments:
Guizhou
Bijie Prefecture
Zhijin County
BC.M.08.40

full view.jpg
full view.jpg [ 76.94 KiB | Viewed 9966 times ]
File comment: Detail: Lower panel with phoenix motif border
lower panel detail.jpg
lower panel detail.jpg [ 90.77 KiB | Viewed 9966 times ]
File comment: Detail: Top panel - right hand side
top panel detail.jpg
top panel detail.jpg [ 95.78 KiB | Viewed 9966 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 pm 

Iain-
What good eyes you have! I have to confess that I did not make the connection between the batik and embroidered versions of these carriers, tho I have both. I always have marvelled at the batik work and at first thought it must have been printed- it is so very fine. Thank you both for sharing!

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

...for some more Zhijin embroidered baby carriers see http://www.miaobabycarriers.com/zhijin.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 am 

Hi all,

All the above pieces are made by the Side Comb Miao. The style is found in Zhijin and also in Puding to the north of Zhijin.

I took some photos while traveling there a couple of years back which I will try to locate.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

thank you, Steven, I had thought that these pieces looked very Side comb Miao. We visited several villages in Guangxi and Guizhou in 2000. For photogalleries of the group and their textiles see http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Galleries/Long_Dong.htm - Long Dong village, De Wo township, one of the groups in the market in De Wo http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Galleries/De_Wo.htm (in Guangxi) Pao Ma Cheng village in Teng Jiao township, Xingren county, Guizhou http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... _Cheng.htm Chang Tion village, in Cheng Guan township, Puding county, Guizhou - a White Miao village but we also saw Side comb textiles - see babycarriers at the bottom of the photogallery http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Galleries/Chang_Tion.htm also http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Galleries/Xian_Ma.htm Xian Ma village, Hou Chang township, 40km to the east of Puding in Puding county, Guizhou. Here the village had two different communities of Miao. The Side Comb Miao are the second group in the photogallery. You can see both the wax resist and the embroidery being used.

Sorry, I was sleeping on the job and should have flagged this before! My diary of this 2000 trip with links to the various villages and a few comments can be found at http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Diaries/SWC2K_Diary.htm and you will see that I collected several textiles in these villages as well as a comb which gives the group the name by which they are known by outsiders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 pm 

Here are two photos of Side Comb Miao carriers in Puding County, Houchang township and the third is actually in Zhijin at the weekly market.

Steven

Attachments:
File comment: Side Comb Miao carrier in Puding county, Houchang township
puding1-w.jpg
puding1-w.jpg [ 89.05 KiB | Viewed 9480 times ]
File comment: Side Comb Miao carrier in Puding county, Houchang township
puding2-w.jpg
puding2-w.jpg [ 68.74 KiB | Viewed 9480 times ]
File comment: Zhijin - Side Comb Miao carrier at the weekly market
zhijin-w.jpg
zhijin-w.jpg [ 74.18 KiB | Viewed 9480 times ]