tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Taijiang clothing...
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:23 pm 

This is a Taijiang apron I got in Taijiang in 1995. I lost my notes. Anyone have any info. Always reminds me of the Tai Laotian textiles in terms of the overall diamond design, which I haven't seen elsewhere among the Miao.

Bill

Attachments:
Taijiang Apron.jpg
Taijiang Apron.jpg [ 120.52 KiB | Viewed 11888 times ]
Taijiang Apron-detail.jpg
Taijiang Apron-detail.jpg [ 137.42 KiB | Viewed 11888 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Bill

A very nice example. I am assuming that the designs are created by embroidery and not weaving? Do you have a close-up of the back?

When I see an embroidery design so clearly based on a woven one I always wonder if, originally, the article in question would have been created by weaving. As you know, there is a trend to move from weaving to embroidery as it is so much easier and portable to do the embroidery than weaving. Also, a whole other skill-set required for weaving. As plain cloth became so easy to buy in the market the need to at least do basic weaving disappeared increasing the pressure to move to embroidery for striking decorative features.

Thanks - as ever - for sharing, Bill.

I will try an post a photo of how such an apron fits with the local costume. My photo was taken on 12 May 2005 in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou province. The aprons are not identical but somewhat in the style of, I think. It would seem that this type of apron is worn more by older, married women. With the forum running so slowly at the moment this may be a bridge too far....

Attachments:
File comment: 12 May 2005 in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou province
IMGP2183w.jpg
IMGP2183w.jpg [ 68.43 KiB | Viewed 11865 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: A Taijiang Jacket
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:07 pm 

This is another item I bought in Taijiang, but have lost the notes from. Anyone have any more detailed identification?

Bill

Attachments:
Taijiang jacket-back.jpg
Taijiang jacket-back.jpg [ 113.71 KiB | Viewed 11843 times ]
Taijiang jacket-.front.jpg
Taijiang jacket-.front.jpg [ 78.39 KiB | Viewed 11843 times ]
Taijiang Jacket-detailA.jpg
Taijiang Jacket-detailA.jpg [ 132.99 KiB | Viewed 11843 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 am 

Bill,

In "Miao Costumes of Southeast Guizhou- Illustrated Research Directory", Taibei, 2000. p. 85, plate 17 there is a young woman wearing an apron nearly identical to yours. The photo was taken in Gedong Zhen, Wanjia Village. An additional apron of exactly the same style is found on p. 69 of the same book.
I am nearly certain the jacket is from Geyi, on the road between Kaili and Shidong. There are several different styles of Geyi women's clothing.
Let me know if I should attempt photographing the book and uploading the image.

Steven

www.stevenqfrost.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Steven,

I for one would be interested in seeing the image(s) if you can find the time.

I find it difficult to directly ID clothing in this area as the different groups seem to have absorbed various, similar designs. Also several groups around Kaili use particular ribbons and also embroidery in their work.

Re the jacket. It seems to have a little of the 'Dazi' work embroidery which is found in the Geyi area and they certainly use the ribbon. The square on the back has, to me, more of a Huangping 'feel' about it.

As I quoted on another thread re a Geyi babycarrier
Quote:
"'Clothings and Ornaments of the China's Miao People', page 54 describe the style as being 'mainly distributed over Kaitang and Wengxiang townships in Panghai district of Kaili county and Geyi and Pingshui townships in Taijiang county.'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 pm 

Steven,

Good find. I would love to see the pic, as I don't have this book.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 am 

The images from "Miao Textiles of Southeast Guizhou- Illustrated Research Guide" Taibei, 2000.

Image 1 is a younger woman

Attachments:
taijiang1_638w.jpg
taijiang1_638w.jpg [ 79.56 KiB | Viewed 11822 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:09 am 

Image 2 An elderly woman. Note the apron style is quite different

Attachments:
taijiang2_527w.jpg
taijiang2_527w.jpg [ 56.62 KiB | Viewed 11819 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:27 am 

The forum is not letting me post the third image. I will wait for Pamela to let me know things are in order with the server...

Gedong Zhen is directly northeast of the Taijiang County Seat, near the northwest corner of Jianhe County.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:34 am 

I noticed White Lotus has the book at the giveaway price of 630 USD...

Post subject: Book availability
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:33 pm 

I recently (March, 2007) purchased this book in Taipei from Fu Jen University at a significantly lower price than the utterly scandalous price White Lotus is charging! Even taking the weight of the book into account it would appear that postage rates from Thailand are nothing short of extreme!
Full details of the book are as follows:
“Miao Costumes of Southeast Guizhou – Illustrated Research Dictionary” published by Fu Jen Catholic University Textiles and Clothing Graduate Institute: Textiles and Clothing Culture Centre in 2000. ISBN 957-9000-92-1.
This book is a fantastic photographic account of 215 peices in the Fu Jen Catholic University Miao Textile Collection with each piece fully illustrated in colour and in the majority of cases in close up detail. The text introduces the collection quite sytematically by geograhic location; demonstration and description of how each style is worn - according to gender, age marital status and occasion and finally by explaining each style in detail - namely how weaving, dyeing, embroidery and other decorative techniques have been accomplished as well as giving a broad outline as to the design and symbolism of the different motifs and patterns used. The only drawback of this incredible publication for many people will be that it is entirely in Chinese (except for a brief Foreword by Sr Maryta Laumann Professor and Head of the Textiles and Clothing Graduate Institute).
The contact details for Fu Jen University:
Graduate Institute Textiles and Clothing
Human Ecology College
Fu Jen Catholic University
510 Chung Cheng Road
Hsinchuang 242
Taipei Hsien
Taiwan,
Republic of China
Regards
Iain

Post subject: Taijiang Skirt Image
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:04 pm 

Greetings Bill
Here is another image of a Taijiang skirt taken from the above mentioned book (p. 66). Here the apron (the similarities to your own are significant...) is actually attached to a broader skirt the dimensions of which measure in total 77.8cm by 68cm
Regards
Iain

Attachments:
File comment: Skirt dimensions 77.8cm x 66cm
Taijiang skirt p66 FJU IRD 2000.jpg
Taijiang skirt p66 FJU IRD 2000.jpg [ 82.9 KiB | Viewed 11799 times ]

Post subject: Second image
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:33 pm 

Bill here is a second image very similar to the one above also taken from the same book (p.69). Apron dimensions are 67.5cm by 34.5cm - somewhat smaller than the previous as this apron is not attached to a larger underlying piece to form the apron skirt.
Regards
Iain

Attachments:
File comment: Dimensions: 67.5cm by 34.5cm. Plate 11. Miao costumes of Southeast Guizhou – Illustrated Research Dictionary. (2000) Taipei: Fu Jen Catholic University Textiles and Clothing Graduate Institute: Textiles and Clothing Culture Centre. ISBN 957-9000-92-
Tiajiang skirt 2 FJU IRD 2000.jpg
Tiajiang skirt 2 FJU IRD 2000.jpg [ 58.38 KiB | Viewed 11790 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 pm 

Iain

Thanks alot. the Pic from page 66 seems to be the closest. Thanks for the help. I have always been particularly attracted to these aprons, which seem similar both Tai weavings, but Guatemalan as well to draw from another continent.

thanks,

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Steven

The forum seems to be working OK at the moment (I hesitate to say this as it is tempting fate!)

The forum may not have allowed you to post the image if the file size was larger than 500K. I have reduced in pixel size (and file size) the two images which you have already posted - they are excellent by the way. You may remember/have forgotten the forum 'rules' on image size http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=178 (the announcement at the top of this general forum). The first 2 images were 482K and 447K so it is very likely that the third was 500K or over. A pain, I know, but necessary to reduce scan file size for posting on the forum. Makes it easier for people to view the threads and also keeps the size of the forum as a whole within reasonable bounds.