tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 am 

I've just updated my collection website with some new items from the Taiwan aborigines.

Among them, there is a Paiwan men's short tunic with applique that I've lent for an exhibit on the Paiwan material culture at the Shisanhang Prehistory Museum in the district of Taipei.

This tunic is from the 1950s, and its dimensions are 130 x 40 cm.

Any comments are welcome as I'd like to learn more on the material and the technics.

Thank you

Attachments:
SANY0060.JPG
SANY0060.JPG [ 48.68 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
SANY0059.JPG
SANY0059.JPG [ 51.28 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
PA0302.jpg
PA0302.jpg [ 42.5 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Nicolas

This applique creates very 'direct' and strong images.

Are you able to email me a larger resolution image of the first detail below? I can't quite determine the technique from the current image. It looks like fabric which has been applied to the base fabric without turning under any raw edges. Edged with stitching - could be blanket stitch but looks more of a continual over stitch. What I am not sure of is whether there is a cord under the stitching to give added relief and perhaps hold the raw edges more securely. There seems to be something lighter showing through.

thanks,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 pm 

Pamela,

I will email you these same pictures with their full resolution as these are the only three I have currently. No way I can have more photos as this tunic is now on display at the museum, till September.

Concerning the patterns, they are typically Paiwanese and Austronesian. For the Austronesian characteristics, we can see the perfect symetry, the frog position of the figures, the marks on the articulations, the tattoos, linked animals or animals linked to humans, three heads alined...

For the Paiwan characteristics, we see the hunters, the snakes (that is the original ancestor), the hunting dogs, the hunting weapons (rifles), the chopped heads of the enemies, the hunters drinking with the snakes with a symbolized linked cup, the traditional colors, the jewellery...