tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ?Locality in Guizhou?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 am 

I share a recent Lunar New Year gift from a friend who collected this baby carrier in Taijiang where it was said to be a Miao piece.
A strong Han influence appears in the phoenix, two horned dragons, melon, pomergranate, peaches, various round fruits (cherries?litchis?), Buddha's hand fruit, peony, chrysanthemum and two butterflies distributed through a foliate design. All these are executed in silk floss 'dazi' knots outlined in white gimp thread.
The border features a 'rolling thunder' pattern incorporating a central 'wan' device using cotton thread worked in dense cross stitch. At the top of the central panel is a beautifully worked band of triangles made from a variety of different materials - predominantly cotton and silk. The light blue trade cloth bordering the central panel is surrounded by indigo dyed handwoven baste fibre.
My friend was unable to find out where this piece comes from and I have not been able to locate anything similar. The folded triangle band is found in carriers originating from Danzhai, Majiang and Sandu counties. However, I understand that the extensive use of 'dazi' embroidery is not common there? This form being more commonly found in neighbouring Taijiang/Kaili/Leishan counties. Has anyone seen a baby carrier like this and possibly shed some light on this delightful piece?
Many thanks!
Iain

Attachments:
File comment: Miao baby carrier. BC.M.08.2
Fullcarrier.jpg
Fullcarrier.jpg [ 46.57 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: Main panel exhibiting a number of Han inflenced elements.
Main panel.jpg
Main panel.jpg [ 67.8 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: Flying phoenix and two horned dragons worked in silk floss 'dazi' knots outlined in white gimp thread.
Phoenix dragons.jpg
Phoenix dragons.jpg [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: Triangles formed from a variety of materials - predominantly silk and cotton - to effect a diamond shaped design.
Trianglepanel.jpg
Trianglepanel.jpg [ 51.4 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: Central rolling thunder design incorporating 'wan' device worked in indigo dyed cotton thread in turn bordered with purple cotton thread.
Border.jpg
Border.jpg [ 109.73 KiB | Viewed 5340 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:10 pm 

Hi Iain-
We're seeing pieces like this here in Chiang Mai too. I'm told that they are coming in from Hmong runners and are probably from southern Yunnan. I've not seen any with bast fiber surrounds, but corduroy and velveteen are not uncommon. They do seem to be a curious combination of Han motifs in sophisticated embroidery more common to Guizhou. If I can learn any more, I will post it.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:33 pm 

Many of the dealers here in Beijing also have this style of baby carrier now. They seem to all have popped up just after the Spring Festival.
As Susan said, they are indeed Hmong/Miao, and are from the Yunnan/Vietnam border region. Some dealers have even attributed these as being from Vietnam instead of China.
The example Iain provided is a very nice example of the typical style most of these carriers employ - a central floral design, surrounded by auspicious animals and plants, all done in "dazi" embroidery on a background of natural cotton or silk, or of corduroy or velveteen for the more recent pieces.
Below I would like to share two atypical examples that I have collected.
The first example is quite startlingly different, not only in design (using a 4 panel design, not incorporating any animals, etc.), but also technique (using reverse applique, and the use of cloth "buttons"), so that the only thing linking this carrier to the others is the distinctive top band of folded silk and cotton that all these carriers seem to share.
The second example heeds more closely with the typical design. What sets this carrier apart is the quality of the embroidery and the rendering of the animal figures. The embroidery uses three different stitches as far as I can tell - a fine chain stitch for the outlines, a minimal use of the 'dazi' stitch, and another very fine and very close stitch that i cannot identify (possibly a braided stitch?). You can see all three stitches used side-by-side in the detail of the flower.

Well, that's it for my first post. I hope it has somehow contributed to the fine community assembled here on this forum.

Attachments:
Yunnan Baby Carrier 1.jpg
Yunnan Baby Carrier 1.jpg [ 66.82 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]
Yunnan Baby Carrier 1 - Detail.jpg
Yunnan Baby Carrier 1 - Detail.jpg [ 64.46 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2.jpg
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2.jpg [ 60.63 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2 - Phoenix.jpg
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2 - Phoenix.jpg [ 62.42 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2 - Flower.jpg
Yunnan Baby Carrier 2 - Flower.jpg [ 62.49 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 am 

Many thanks for posting these two - I have recently seen more examples of these appearing here in Taiwan so trade is actively moving these pieces! The first carrier you post with the four panels comprising reverse applique seems to reflect the increasingly prevalent 'borrowing' between different groups and indeed areas. This particular carrier certainly seems to have influences from Danzhai Co. (the folded cloth triangles) as well as element particulary the combination of the reverse applique and four panelled design commonly found in baby carriers of both Bouyei (Libo Co.) and Bailing Miao groups.
Looking at the enlarged detail of the flower I think that the bulk of the flower is made up from single coloured braids that have been pleat stitched into place - a procedure requiring a great deal of time and patience as I have discovered! The flower outline here seems to be made up mainly of 'two needle' stitch as described in the books by Ruth Smith and Gina Corrigan on Miao embroidery techniques.
Many thanks for sharing these two atypical designs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm 

Just a quick update on these baby carriers. According to my sources, they are from somewhere in Wenshan Zhuang and Miao autonomous prefecture, Yunnan.