tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Anna,

Thank you (and Wang Cheng-Jung) for this translation and your photo. Please can you give us any more details of the book you referred to above - 'The dress and costume of minority nationalities in the western China' perhaps the roman version of the mandarin name if possible, ISBN number if it is there, publisher.... Some of our members also read Mandarin (I wish I did!)

It is certainly true that many groups wear a back apron which could be construed as a tail.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:26 pm 

Hi:

The English name, on the book, is The dress and costume of minority nationalities in the western China It was published in Hong Kong in 1993 and does not have an ISBN number.

The photos are good quality and, if the page I had translated is any indication, the text is worth reading, if you know Mandarin.

I found this listing for a copy for $80 + 5 shipping http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=21584&m=109

I probably bought my copy in Shanghai in 2006.

The fact that the chapter heading on the text translates to "butt covers" means that they're probably not "back aprons." ':D'

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Admin

What is an apron if not a cover? A cover for modesty or a cover for cleanliness and to project the garment underneath both of which become vehicles to express skill in embroidery and identity in culture and possible maturity. The Akha's (in Thailand) long front apron is to make sure that, when they squat, the apron holds down the skirt in the front.

Apron is just a word in English which we use to describe a separate piece of fabric which sits on top of a skirt (or even trousers). Descriptive words are just that. And, being British (and speaking British English), I certainly would not use 'butt' as the translation but more likely 'bottom'.

best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource