tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: mosquito nets
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Just in case anyone is interested I have put together some references and photos of a mosquito net band, a complete net which Susan Stem photographed and some photos from my 1995 visit to Vietnam. If anyone has any more references or photos on this somewhat esoteric topic do share!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... o_nets.htm

originally posted 9 Mar 03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

David 'Rusty' Hippchen emailed me the following information which I thought I would share with you all:

"There are photos and information about the mosquito nets of the Tai Dam, Tai Daeng and Tai Khao in "Legends in the Weaving", ISBN:974-548-202-1, published by The Group for Promotion of Art and Lao Textiles. It is a bi lingual book written in English and Lao that I acquired in Laos last month. It may be difficult to obtain outside of Laos . The book contains excellent descriptions and photographs of a wide variety of Lao Textiles and is refreshingly unique that it was exclusively written by Lao authors."

I am certainly going to try and hunt down the book! Pamela

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Select books in Singapore mangaged to get hold of some copies of "Legends in the Weaving" in Laos and a 'friend of Select Books' hand carried them to Singapore. My copy is in the mail (Sing $80 before postage) - I can't wait! Select books said they just had 2 copies left and were not going to add it to their web listing as they did not know if they could get any more.

Rusty gave me some more info on how to track down the book from where he bought it in Laos which I am going to paste in as it may be useful: “I saw the book, "Legends in the Weavings" for sale at the Lane Xang Hotel Gift shop. It was independent of the hotel? and did offer credit card sales. The phone number at the hotel is 214102, fax#214108, the country code is 856. Perhaps they could put you in contact with the gift shop if you talk to the right person. A couple of calls to the front desk should find results. I am sure you know how things work in the third world. The gift shop was located across the hall and about 15 feet from the front desk, between the restaurant and the front desk, directly next to the beauty shop. The cost was $30.00 USD. I also saw the book for sale at the only gift shop at Watay International Airport Terminal. The gift shop was located upstairs from where you check in and before you go through customs. It was the only air conditioned space in the airport and automatic door opened as customers approached. There was a duty free shop beyond customs in the departure lounge but this is not the gift shop. They also offered credit card sales and the price was the same. It was also available in a couple of small book shops but I can not recall the names of them, however, one shop owners name was Sam and he ran the best English language book shop I could find in Vientiane. I will dig through my notes to see if I can come up with a name but Sam did not offer credit card sales so a purchase would be difficult.”

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource