tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:28 pm 

Hi Siriol,

thanks for asking: we'll probably be doing it with Prestel again. We had been on tour in Arunachal again in 2003 and were able to access some very remote regions. This, plus the documentation of the Bastian-1870-collection at the Ethnological musem we furnished should make a nice book. This will be the next step after our Naga exhibition is over in September of this year.

Peter

Quote:
Peter,
Have you got a publisher and dates of publication yet for your Arunachal Pradesh book? I eagerly await it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:40 pm 

Hello everybody,

as promised, here are four JPEGS of the Khampti / Singpho-bag I photographed at the Berlin Ethnological Museum (front, back, details). It has been collected by Adolf Bastian, the first director of the "Museum fuer Voelkerkunde, Berlin" in 1870.

Hope you will like them.

Best regards

Peter

Peter van Ham wrote:
Hello everyone,

The bag shown is a Khampti or Singpho (Jingphaw) bag as they are common in the Changlang and Lohit districts of Arunachal Pradesh / NE-India. In September I was lucky to be photographing the Northeast India collection of the Ethnological Museum, Berlin, for a proposed exhibtion, where a similar piece turned up which had been collected there in the 1870's.

As a reference you may look up Verrier Elwin's "Art of the Northeast Frontier of India".

The owner may call him/herself lucky! These pieces are beautiful!

We're working on a book on Arunachal where the piece mentioned should be published. If the community wishes I could post the bag I've photographed for comparison purposes.

Let me know

Peter

Attachments:
singpho-bag1.jpg
singpho-bag1.jpg [ 43.02 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]
singpho-bag2.jpg
singpho-bag2.jpg [ 53.69 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]
singpho-bag3.jpg
singpho-bag3.jpg [ 42.57 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]
singpho-bag4.jpg
singpho-bag4.jpg [ 56.59 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

As promised throughout 'a puzzling bag' thread, I have now put together all the photos posted into a small photogallery. It is very interesting to be able to see all the photos on one screen and compare the details. I have also looked carefully at the Michael C Howard book on 'Textiles of the Hill Tribes of Burma' and also 'Textiles from Burma: Featuring the James Henry Green collection' edited by Elizabeth Dell and Sandra Dudley. I have tried to draw together from these sources some background information on the Kachin and especially the Jingpho, Jinghphaw, Singpo.

You can see the small photogallery at:
http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... n_bags.htm

I hope that everyone whose photos are included is happy that they have been used in this way - and my thanks to you all.

I would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who has contributed to this thread on the forum - and made it probably the most exciting one so far.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Wonderful Job
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:13 pm 

Pamela-

What a wonderful job you have done. You are right that it is rare that a topic can generate so much excitement and information. However, you have gone so far past that in creating your photogallery and summary of sources. I applaud your enthusiastic scolarship as usual.

Thanks again.

Bill Hornaday

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks, Bill, for your generous comments.

I have a general request to forum members and browsers. If you have a Jingpho/Jingpaw/Singpo bag in your collection please would you share a photo with us and also agree that I can add it to the photogallery? (Browsers, you will need to join the forum as a member to do this - a very easy task. Shout for help if you have any problems with the photo posting procedure.) If you post a photo would you please give us as much information as you have - when, where you bought it and any information which you received on it at the time. Whilst, if it has been bought from a dealer, the information may be suspect as it cannot be directly verified, it is always interesting to know.

If you find any similar bags in museums do let us know. If you can get permission to share a photo with us that would be excellent - especially if there is good background on the item. The same goes for photos in books but we do need to have permission from the photographer/author/publisher to post.

I think that these bags are fascinating weaving gems and it is a priviledge to assemble a virtual collection!

Very many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Following receipt of permission to do so, I am very pleased to be able to share some photos from the very excellent book 'Textiles from Burma' which has been referred to several times in this thread. See the File comment for each photo for details of the individual photos. All the items illustrated are in the James Henry Green Collection, Royal Pavilion, Libraries & Museums, Brighton http://www.brighton.virtualmuseum.info/ ... index.html None of the photos should be used elsewhere unless permission is sought and received from the Museum. I will be incorporating the photos into the small Kachin bag photogallery on the main www.tribaltextiles.info site when I get a breather to do so but I think it will be a few weeks before I can get to do this as life is rather challenging at the moment!

Attachments:
File comment: Fig.6.3.1.iv. Bag, Kachin, Jinghpaw Hkahku, northern Kachin State and Hukawng Valley. This bag, collected by Green during the 1920s shows the same designs as those on an heirloom bag used by Hkahku weaver Gwi Kai Nan as her source for the new Museum com
p164bag1920se.jpg
p164bag1920se.jpg [ 51.79 KiB | Viewed 11179 times ]
File comment: Fig.4.4.ii. Models wearing traditional outfits associated with the Jinghpaw Hkahku group. The outfits were commissioned by the Museum in 2001. Photograph taken at the Manau festival ground in Myitkyina by Htoi Awng, 2002. Royal Pavilion, Libraries &amp
p71outfit-with-bage.jpg
p71outfit-with-bage.jpg [ 52.03 KiB | Viewed 11179 times ]
File comment: Detail: man's bag. Kachin, Jinghpaw Hkahku, made by Gwi Kai Nan in Myitkyina 2002. See Fig.6.3.1.iv. Royal Pavilion, Libararies & Museums WA508707
p160newbage.jpg
p160newbage.jpg [ 55.62 KiB | Viewed 11179 times ]

Last edited by Pamela on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

As promised earlier I have now incorporated the 3 photos above into the Kachin bags photogallery at http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... n_bags.htm which I hope enhances the comparison of the various bags. My thanks once more to everyone who has contributed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

I was very fortunate this week to participate in a Museum visit arranged by the Oxford Asian Textile Group to the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in particular to see the James Henry Green Collection of Textiles from Burma.

I was particularly interested to see two bags. One was a newly woven bag - the one featured in photos above from the Jinghpaw Hkahku group which was part of one of the wedding outfits commissioned by the Museum in 2001. Very good to be able to see it close up and to try and understand the complexities of the weaving. See the two photos immediately below this text. The other bag was a new one to me and not featured in the book 'Textiles from Burma' which is referred to above. It is not as ornate as Bill's 'mystery bag' but more akin to the one illustrated by Michael Howard (fig 120 on page 163 in the collection of the Bankfield Museum in Halifax, UK) in the first edition of 'Textiles of the Hill Tribes of Burma' - page 2 of this post. See the last two photos below text.

When I get a moment I will add the photos to the 'Kachin bags' photogallery to add to our resource on these bags.

Attachments:
File comment: A Jinghpaw Hkahku bag commissioned by the James Green Centre for World art at the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in 2001. The bag is based on a much older one in the weaver's family
IMGP4703w.jpg
IMGP4703w.jpg [ 58.48 KiB | Viewed 10991 times ]
File comment: Detail of a Jinghpaw Hkahku bag commissioned by the James Green Centre for World art at the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in 2001. The bag is based on a much older one in the weaver's family
IMGP4704w.jpg
IMGP4704w.jpg [ 64.75 KiB | Viewed 10991 times ]
File comment: Kachin bag collected by James Henry Green in the 1920s in what is now Kachin State. Probably a Hkahku bag. Note the similarity to the one illustrated by Michael Howard fig 120 on page 163 of the first edition of Textiles of the Hill Tribes of Burma
IMGP4710w.jpg
IMGP4710w.jpg [ 52.6 KiB | Viewed 10994 times ]
File comment: Detail of Kachin bag collected by James Henry Green in the 1920s in what is now Kachin State. Probably a Hkahku bag. Note the similarity to the one illustrated by Michael Howard fig 120 on page 163 of the first edition of Textiles of the Hill Tribes of
IMGP4707w.jpg
IMGP4707w.jpg [ 62.46 KiB | Viewed 10994 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Admin

I thought that I would add photos of a couple more Kachin bags which Digna found in Yangon earlier this year. You will remember that it was Digna who solved the identity of Bill's mystery bag back in Feb 2004 when she confirmed that his bag was Kachin and posted a similar bag from her collection. I will update the page on the main tribaltextiles.info site which pulls together most of the Kachin bags from this thread. I have just realised that I did not update it for the bag immediately above from the James Henry Green Collection so I will remedy that oversight at the same time - especially as it is very similar to one of the recently acquired bags posted immediately below.

Based on the information on this thread the bag shown immediately below is probably Jinghpaw Hkahku (Jingpho). It is difficult date it any accuracy without background provenance but, as mentioned above, it is similar to the one collected by James Henry Green in the 1920s (in the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery) and also the one in the Bankfield Museum, Halifax UK which, as mentioned in page 2 of this thread, is shown in Michael C Howard's book 'Textiles of the Hilltribes of Burma' (1999: page 163 Plate 120.) This bag was originally lent to the Museum in 1900 by E.C.S.George and subsequently given to them by him in 1937. The description of the bag (p117 in Dr Howard's book) is:
Quote:
'Jingpho: 120. N'hpye (shoulder bag), plaited cotton strap, body mde of plain white cotton warp thread with the weft made of various colors and including some patterning near near the top of the bag, body 26cm x 32cm. R A Innes on page 19 of 'Costumes of Upper Burma and the Shan States in the collections of the Bankfield Museum Halifax, 1957, reports that, according to E.R. Leach, such bags with plaited straps "probably came from the Maru or Lashi region which lies between the N'mai Hka river and the Yunnan border."

Attachments:
File comment: Kachin bag in Digna's collection acquired in Yangon in March 2006.
13053-E.jpg
13053-E.jpg [ 57.67 KiB | Viewed 9864 times ]
File comment: Reverse of a Kachin bag in Digna's collection acquired in Yangon in March 2006.
13053-Reverse-E.jpg
13053-Reverse-E.jpg [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 9864 times ]
File comment: Detail of a Kachin bag in Digna's collection acquired in Yangon in March 2006.
13053-Detail-E.jpg
13053-Detail-E.jpg [ 58.62 KiB | Viewed 9864 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am 
Site Admin

The second bag which I will post below is more intricately woven and closer to the style of the one which Bill originally posted. My attention has been drawn to an unusual addition in the weaving - that of the incorporation of the body of some light-reflective insect body parts which are woven into the body of the bag. Digna is unsure which insect has been used but has been told that it is both moth and firefly. See the detail and close up shots below. Has anyone heard of any similar incorporation of an insect body into a textile?

Probably the bag was made for a chief since the complexity of the weaving was usually reserved for bags of important people. ("The dragon motif, one of the most difficult patterns to weave, represents Baren Num Raw in Jinghpaw mythology, and is a symbol of duwa (chief) status. Royal Pavilion, Libraries & Museums (Brighton in "Textiles from Burma") - See comments on this complex weaving previously on this thread.)

My thanks to Digna for permission to share these photos and enhance our study of these fascinating bags. I invite anyone who has a Kachin bag (or can point - with the relevant permissions - to one in another collection) to post photos and share any information which they have on the textile to add to our virtual 'collection'.

I will confirm on this thread when I have updated the photogallery of the bags on the main tribaltextiles.info site.

Attachments:
File comment: Kachin bag acquired by Digna in Yangon in March 2006
13052-E.jpg
13052-E.jpg [ 59.19 KiB | Viewed 9848 times ]
File comment: Reverse of Kachin bag acquired by Digna in Yangon in March 2006
13052-Reverse-E.jpg
13052-Reverse-E.jpg [ 66.76 KiB | Viewed 9848 times ]
File comment: Detail of Kachin bag acquired by Digna in Yangon in March 2006
13052-Detail-E.jpg
13052-Detail-E.jpg [ 61.32 KiB | Viewed 9846 times ]
File comment: Detail of Kachin bag (with insect showing) acquired by Digna in Yangon in March 2006
13052-Detail-3-E.jpg
13052-Detail-3-E.jpg [ 59.32 KiB | Viewed 9846 times ]
File comment: close up of detail of Kachin bag showing the insect body shining through the weaving
13052-Detail-3-EE.jpg
13052-Detail-3-EE.jpg [ 43.28 KiB | Viewed 9846 times ]