tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:18 am 

Bonjour

My wife is in now the Puna area and I am looking for what she could bring back from here in the category of ethnic costum or weavings. If somebody can send me pictures I'll can send them to her by the net.

Merci-d'avance

Louis Dubreuil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Louis

Not an easy one this! Pune (Puna, Poona) is quite a big city. I think of it as a centre of good education - excellent university and good schools! That, however, reflects my historic reasons for visiting India!

I would think that your wife would be able to find textiles from much of India in Pune or in Bombay/Mumbai which I assume is the city from which she will travel out of India back home?

Pune is in Maharashtra State. I had a look in John Gillow's 'Traditional Indian Textiles; (actually by John Gillow and Nicholas Barnard). For Maharashtra. He mentions Banjara Embroidery as coming from 'Madhya Pradesh and adjoining areas in Maharashtra and Karnataka'.

Quote:
'The Banjara to be found in Malwa and Nimar districts of Madhya Pradesh and across into Maharashtra towards Jalgaon produce beautiful work made up of squares and rectangles of cross and stem stitch, contained within a grid laid out in closely worked herring-bone stitch. Designs are either geometric or angularly zoomorphic. The most common articles produced are the square, tasselled rumals (kerchiefs) edged with cowries, which are used for presentations at ceremonies and in ceremonial dances; purses ('butua') for money or areca nuts; and cholis, gaghras and odhnis are also embroidered.

Other Banjara make beautiful, quilted rumals, bags and purses, usually on brown or sometimes blue cloth. Patterning is sometimes confined to quilting stitches, but more usually cotton threads are laid on contrasting geometric patterns, and then couched down. Further south, the Banjara work some of the most intricate embroidery, using woolen or cotton thread and a great repertoire of stitches, making bags, purses, waist bands and a rectangular piece of embroidery edged with cowrie shells, which hangs down from a head ring called an 'inhoni' on which the women balance pots of water.'

I love Banjara pieces and have bought quite a few (from John Gillow and also Josh Graham of Oriental Textiles in London) just because I cannot resist them and enjoy living with them not because I am really collecting textiles by this group - if this makes sense! As I type this I can see a cushion (double sided), a purse and a rectangular piece with cowrie shells. I used to cover my sewing machine with another piece but my young Siamese kittens attacked the hanging cowrie shells so it has had to be stored for the moment! I will take a few photos of these pieces and post them on the forum for you and your wife. Pages 144 and 145 of John's book also have some examples.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

A link to a Banjara piece http://www.jossgraham.com/item-detail?Gala&item_id=21 on Joss Graham's website

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Banjara
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

I found I had even more on the walls and stored away than I had thought! I have had all these pieces for quite a time and was particularly attracted to them because of the stitch decoration and quilting - as I was a quilter when I bought my first pieces.

Look at the detail of the cushion (last set of photos) to see how the perceived colouring of the fabric is changed by different colours of embroidery thread. So very subtle. Wonderful creating these textiles from simple cloth and reusing and strengthening cloth by stitching. I think that this cushion cover has been made up from one square rumal which has been cleverly folded to create the cover (not by the Banjara, I think, but a 'reseller'.) It probably started life like the very faded piece shown in the first photos appearing below.

Attachments:
File comment: an old and faded piece possibly rather 'enhanced' in editing!
P1000925w.jpg
P1000925w.jpg [ 65.43 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: detail of an old and faded piece
P1000928w.jpg
P1000928w.jpg [ 49.7 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: tasselled rumal (I think!) sitting on top of a black cushion (nothing to do with the Banjara piece)
P1000921w.jpg
P1000921w.jpg [ 52.86 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: detail of tasselled rumal (I think!)
P1000924w.jpg
P1000924w.jpg [ 65.03 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: 'gala'
P1000916w.jpg
P1000916w.jpg [ 64.77 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: Detail of 'gala'
P1000915w.jpg
P1000915w.jpg [ 68.84 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: band or strap
P1000910w.jpg
P1000910w.jpg [ 25.12 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]
File comment: detail of band or strap