tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old Lao textile
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:20 pm 

I thought I'd share with the forum an old textile I bought a while back. It's woven of silk and is quite long - what you see here is half the length.

I was told it was around 60 years old when I bought it. It's in pristine condition and the silk is quite heavy. The bottom of the textile is hung with what looks like a silver fringe to finish it off. It was obviously something that was reasonably well thought of to finish it like that.

If the picture sizes are too large, please reduce where you can...

Attachments:
silver3w.jpg
silver3w.jpg [ 153.7 KiB | Viewed 5386 times ]
silver2w.jpg
silver2w.jpg [ 130.33 KiB | Viewed 5386 times ]
silver1w.jpg
silver1w.jpg [ 204.58 KiB | Viewed 5386 times ]

Post subject: OLD LAO TEXTILE
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:01 pm 

You have a very nice Lao textile. Just how long and wide is it? Does it show creases where it had been folded lengthwise? It is probably a shoulder cloth from the Tai Dam. Their pieces usually have indigo backgrounds. It seems to have all natural dyes but no green. In the early 90's I collected quite a few Lao textiles in Changmai and Bangkok but my love is ikat so I concentrated on those rather than woven patterns. Do you have other Lao textiles? Do you have any with ikat patterns? I am very new on the computer and haven't figured out how to photograph my textiles and put them on the forum yet but hope to be able to soon. Thanks for sharing your lovely textile. MAC

Post subject: Re: OLD LAO TEXTILE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 am 

MAC wrote:
You have a very nice Lao textile. Just how long and wide is it? Does it show creases where it had been folded lengthwise? It is probably a shoulder cloth from the Tai Dam. Their pieces usually have indigo backgrounds. It seems to have all natural dyes but no green. In the early 90's I collected quite a few Lao textiles in Changmai and Bangkok but my love is ikat so I concentrated on those rather than woven patterns. Do you have other Lao textiles? Do you have any with ikat patterns? I am very new on the computer and haven't figured out how to photograph my textiles and put them on the forum yet but hope to be able to soon. Thanks for sharing your lovely textile. MAC

I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I'll need to dig this textile out of storage to get exact lengths for you, but it is about 10ft long and around 40cm wide from memory.

I do have some older tapestry woven Lao skirts but no ikat from Laos from memory, though I do have some from Thailand and Indonesia. From Laos I have mostly supplementry weft and tapestry work.

Post subject: old lao textile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:54 pm 

Thanks for your reply. Size wise, about is good enough. I don't want to trouble you to get your textile out of storage just for an exact measurement. The size would seem to indicate a shoulder cloth. The patterns are so bold and dynamic! It is indeed a lovely piece!
May I ask where in Indonesia your ikat textiles are from? The major part of my collection is from Indonesia and the Philippines. You are probably more interested in fans than textiles. I live in Japan where the fan has a long history but I don't know much about them. Thanks again, MAC

Post subject: Re: old lao textile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:13 am 

MAC wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Size wise, about is good enough. I don't want to trouble you to get your textile out of storage just for an exact measurement. The size would seem to indicate a shoulder cloth. The patterns are so bold and dynamic! It is indeed a lovely piece!
May I ask where in Indonesia your ikat textiles are from? The major part of my collection is from Indonesia and the Philippines. You are probably more interested in fans than textiles. I live in Japan where the fan has a long history but I don't know much about them. Thanks again, MAC

Hi Mac

this was bought in Laos, not Indonesia by a friend who was travelling there and also had a good eye for textiles. I was very fortunate to be able to acquire a few very good pieces this way with selection via email pictures.

This was bought in Vietienne (I always mis-spell this!) at the "week-end" markets in town I believe. I was told it takes some while to find the decent sellers in town who don't over-charge but they can be found but you want to give yourself at least a week to hunt for textile in the Lao capital, and I understand it is progressively getting harder to do as more people have found out about these wonderful textiles.

This piece is a silk woven supplementary weft textile. It's very long and I was told it was a banner piece. I've seen sets of old banners sometimes woven with the same design in two pieces and other times two different designs that are meant to be seen together and tell a story. (in fact I have a banner set of each of these types).

I do collect fans mostly - but I'm a sucker for a good textile as well. I love Japanese fans, especially those of the 19th century. One day I'll get to Kyoto to see all the fan shops:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 pm 

text

Last edited by Erawan Arts on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Warning!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

The post immediately above by Erwan Arts is verging on the 'selling' which is not permitted on this forum except in the section 'Tribal textile shopping...' I have removed the next post by Erwan Arts to the this shopping section as it was clearly 'selling'. I appreciate that Erwan Arts is a new member and don't want to go all heavy Administrator but felt I should give a little direction at this early stage.

Please also note that I have reduced the file size and image size of the photos attached to both posts in line with the forum protocol for attachments which is shown in the permanent first thread under this General forum http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=178 I have been allowing a little more latitude in file size of late to high 70Ks but I would be grateful if forum members would be kind enough to stick to this. If necessary I can reduce in size for you when posted as I have done here.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource