tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:50 am 

I'm new to this forum and hope you can offer some assistance. I've been reading about the incredibly fine stichery of the Hmong and Miao, especially as it pertains to applique and reverse applique. Can anyone tell me anything about their technique and how/where I can learn it? Also, if you know of other peoples that are proficient in applique, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thank you - Martina Lively

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Martina

A recent thread with some silk felt applique is http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=957

A book which can give you some help is 'Miao Embroidery from South West China' by Ruth Smith - see this thread for more information on the book http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=286 There is information on techniques for Applique; Applique with Satin Stitch over Paper Cuts; Applique with Couching over Paper Cuts; Applique with Weaving; Applique with Wax Resist; Applique with Embroidery; Borders in Applique; Folded Silk Applique; Reverse Applique; Silk Felt Applique (as in the first thread I mention); and White Metal with Silk Felt Applique. This book is definitely available.

Another book in my library - but I have no idea if it is still available - is 'Creating Pa Ndau Applique: A New Approach to an Ancient Art Form; by Carla J. Hassel ISBN 0-87089-390-5 It was published in 1984 by Wallace Homestead Book Company, 580 Waters's Edge Road, Lombard, Illinois 60148.

You don't say where you are located. If you are based in the USA you might be able to find someone of the Hmong community who could possible teach you.

I would suggest that learning how to do applique and reverse applique generally (Patchwork and Quilting classes or books perhaps) and then examining some Hmong/Miao textiles would be helpful.

If I can find any good applique/reverse applique photos amongst my various travel photo libraries I will see about posting some to this thread.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:16 am 

I thought I would add a note that the San Blas Indians of Panama are also famous for both applique and reverse applique with their Molas. The Yao (Mien) od SE Asia also do applique, although it is not their primary technique.

Bill

Post subject: Jacket Detail
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:42 am 

Martina
Pamela has mentioned the excellent book by Ruth Smith and folded silk embroidery. I attach an image of an example of the latter.
Regards
Iain

Attachments:
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg [ 53.7 KiB | Viewed 6163 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Martina

Andrew Dudley has just added more (wax resist) photos on a thread about the Rao Jia (who are supposed to be part of the Yao ethnicity). At the beginning of the thread from last December are some superb photos of a reverse applique baby carrier. http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=920 Here the reverse applique 'cut outs' seem to have been couched down to give a decorative edging.

I certainly endorse Bill Hornaday's comments about the indigenous inhabitants of the San Blas Islands. Their reverse applique is very fine indeed. It has become much more intricate and complicated in recent decades as the women become the main breadwinners and earn money from their sewing. I love pieces for their liveliness and whimsy - much as I like the wax resist in the wonderful pieces of the Rao Jia, Ge Jia and Bailing Miao that Andrew Dudley has shown us.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:16 pm 

Thank you Pamela, Bill and Iain - I will certainly follow up on the links, books, and ethnic groups you've recommended. You've all been most helpful! - Martina